Visited the Loft at 13Hof

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vleisman

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
We just had a short little holiday in the fairest Cape and were lucky enough to squeeze in a quick visit to Achim. Plenty has been written here about the experience, so I don't think I can add much but I'll give it a go. Firstly the venue is very different to the usual hi-fi 'shop'; it's not a shop at all, more like a cross between a home, art gallery and night-club-cum-coffee club. The main problem in writing about this visit is that things are almost impossible to classify. Suffice to say that I immediately felt comfortable and at ease, while at the same time impressed and a bit fascinated. The comfort thing is to me quite important because we knew up front that the likelihood of us being able to afford anything was slim and we were pretty much taking advantage of Achim's time and hospitality, but there was never any hint of this, we were really made to feel welcome. 

After a bit of wandering around oohing and aahing, we sat down to listen to the Avantgarde Uno speakers, fed by a Rega CD player and a beautifully crafted little Unison Research integrated (I think the Simply Italy). I've heard a few horns before, including the previous model Avantgarde Duos, but this simple setup sounded sublime: balanced, clear and highly musical with a huge, high soundstage. This stunning little +-12 watt amp is right at the top of my wish list.

At this stage I stopped making mental notes of what equipment was being used, so details will be sketchy - doesn't matter, in this place it's the music that counts. Next up were the latest model Duo XDs. Without a doubt the set-up and all other components of a system really make a difference, but these speakers were simply in a different league to the other Duos we'd heard before. No hint of sharpness or aggression, just superbly balanced music. Listening to Paint Your Wagon on an old flea-market record played on a Brinkman turntable with a Koetsu cartridge was jaw-dropping. Probably the most palpable and vibrant vocals I've ever experienced. The scary thing is Achim is still playing around with the setup and the speakers were placed to allow for switching of components, not for ultimate listening. It just can't get any better than this, or can it?

Last was the Trios and the massive bass thingies. I think the Trios are driven by bigger Unison Research (my guess is Final) monoblocks and Brinkman source. I really don't have the words needed to describe for this system, you have to experience it. I highly doubt that Catherine or I will ever hear anything to match this, never mind better. 

A final word about the man himself, a true gentleman who happily gives of his time and facilities, without any hint of expectation or pressure, just a desire to share the beauty and enjoyment of some of the finest equipment available anywhere in the world. Thank you Achim and Joel may you continue and prosper for many years to come :dop:

Latest posts