Samsung MU8000 series TV's - yay or nay?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBawb

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have a bee in my bonnet for a TV upgrade...

Currently have the 65HU9000, and while it's a brilliant panel, it was a relatively early 4k release, lacking 10-bit colour & HDR, thus not really complying to the full 4K spec.

I had been checking into 75" panels, but I'm not inclined to drop R40k on the 7000 series Samsung, and it doesn't seem like we have the 8000 available locally... imagine my surprise when I find the positively monstrous 82" 8000 panel trading for around R70k retail.  :thinking:

I'm tempted to go check one out...

My thinking is that though it's not an "uber 9000 series" panel, 2 years of model development would have seen most of the technology filter down to lower series panels, and while it doesn't have the "Micro Dimming Ultimate" of the HU9000, its compliance to 4K specification means it should have superior dimming anyhow. Similarly, it has the same "Precision Black" as the HU9000, so it would seem that this would be a pretty comparable screen in terms of quality, while supporting HDR / 10-bit colour, and making for a much more immersive viewing experience.

Motion rate is a bit of a niggle - it was supposedly 1200 on the HU9000, it's 240 on the MU8000, and not listed on MU9000 series TV's. I suppose 240 (IE, 120Hz with interpolation), is good enough.

And I obviously need to check the viewing angle, as it's bound to be inferior to the HU9000 - but that said, we don't do that much off-angle viewing anyhow.

KenMasters & other video experts - care to weigh in?

Latest posts