Author Topic: Wi-Fi to analogue amp  (Read 1428 times)

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Wi-Fi to analogue amp
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
Is there a device that will enable me to stream music to my analogue amp, using wi-fi and, I reckon, incorporating DAC circuitry. I imagine such a device should exist, if not, it's high time someone invents one.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
Re: Wi-Fi to analogue amp
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
Bought this for a friend from Loot.  It offers amazing quality, very good menu system and easy to use.  It streams from his router which is about 10m away

http://www.loot.co.za/product/mygica-atv-495-pro-media-player-with-rii-qwerty-backlit/yvph-5199-g350

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
My magtag, kÍrels! (my goodness guys). So THAT'S what a streamer is!  :clap: Thanks people.
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
What are you streaming from?
If you are using an Apple device, an Airport Express does a pretty good job for Airplay.

If you are looking to step up a level, there a few other options that I would be happy to chat to you privately about.
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.MirrorEdgeNetworks.com

Offline kenvanraas

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:08:28 PM »
^^^ lol

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 12:10:54 AM »
My magtag, kÍrels! (my goodness guys). So THAT'S what a streamer is!  :clap: Thanks people.

Hehe - I'm also suffering from technology overload! Constantly have to look up things that others talk knowingly about..  :whistler:

Confusingly different manufacturers have different descriptive name for the same or similar things, i.e. network streamers are classed with music streamers and some media player boxes have similar functionality..  :Ooooooh:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:14:55 AM by JBredene »

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 07:37:27 AM »
Is there a device that will enable me to stream music to my analogue amp, using wi-fi and, I reckon, incorporating DAC circuitry. I imagine such a device should exist, if not, it's high time someone invents one.

I use Chromecast, easy to setup.
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
What are you streaming from?
If you are using an Apple device, an Airport Express does a pretty good job for Airplay.

If you are looking to step up a level, there a few other options that I would be happy to chat to you privately about.
Streaming from a Windows 10 PC fed by ADSL by hard connection, but it is a router with wi-fi as well.
David Avocado Wolfe

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »
Do you have good wi-fi signal strength where you plan to place the media player?  Android has wi-fi analyser and iOS has Apple Airplay in Scanning mode

In this image, only the wi-fi signal in red has sufficient power

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
The distance from my router to the hi-fi set is slightly greater than 20 m and it's a fairly straight path - straight down the passage into the listening room, but not line-of-sight right up to the amp. My tablet finds the signal adequate as do smartphones. I expect I could use my tablet (android) as the receiver of the signal, in which case I shall need a DAC to hook up my hi-fi. Or not?
David Avocado Wolfe

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
https://www.audicoonline.co.za/Airtry-Wireless-Music-Receiver

http://www.dionwired.co.za/airtry-wireless-network-music-reciever.html

This one is cheap as chips, has a Wolfson DAC and should plug in to any amp or reciever you have. The only caveat is that it was on Takealot for something like R399.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:49:49 PM by Tenflare »
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
The distance from my router to the hi-fi set is slightly greater than 20 m and it's a fairly straight path - straight down the passage into the listening room, but not line-of-sight right up to the amp. My tablet finds the signal adequate as do smartphones. I expect I could use my tablet (android) as the receiver of the signal, in which case I shall need a DAC to hook up my hi-fi. Or not?

A wi-fi equipped media player will do everything for you.  Receive the signal, convert the digital file to analogue and send it to the amp

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »
https://www.audicoonline.co.za/Airtry-Wireless-Music-Receiver

http://www.dionwired.co.za/airtry-wireless-network-music-reciever.html

This one is cheap as chips, has a Wolfson DAC and should plug in to any amp or reciever you have. The only caveat is that it was on Takealot for something like R399.
No longer at Takealot, most unfortunately.

MUST I work via a smartphone to use it, for it does not seem to have any means to affect any options of any kind - like choosing the web site I want to stream from? I hate smartphones due to their - to me - excessively long list of functions I have neither a need for nor any desire to utilize, and for their sensitive touch screens.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:50:29 AM by LouisF »
David Avocado Wolfe

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »
A wi-fi equipped media player will do everything for you.  Receive the signal, convert the digital file to analogue and send it to the amp
Can I also perform the functions of selecting the site from which to stream as well as choosing what I want to stream/download? Or is there something else I would need? Perhaps some means of transmitting the signal from my PC after performing the formerly mentioned functions instead of streaming directly from the wi-fi router? I could alternatively use my tablet (android) as sender, using BT to communicate with a DAC, while itself is using the router in stead. Or not?
David Avocado Wolfe