Author Topic: Should the age of an advertised item be a compulsary requirement?  (Read 992 times)

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Remedytec
Re: Should the age of an advertised item be a compulsary requirement?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
I would like to differ. Admittedly being a retailer my stock is always "current spec" so  that debate is hardly relevant as the sales pitch is effectively to way out the features according to spend, I honestly don't think there is a difference between an AVR that is 10 years old or 15 years old if neither has HDMI.... or even less a speaker that is 10 years old or 20 years old given the right conditions.   What is more important is the condition of such equipment, which is hardly disclosed (or even known if you are the 2nd or third owner)

Consider -

A 2 year old NAD vs a 6 year old yamaha.... both at the same price and the buyer "wanted something with bluetooth "
A 6 year old NAD vs a 2 year old yamaha.... both at the same price and the buyer "wanted something with a good phono stage "

On first glance the age of a component shows nothing in terms of spec, and the only way you will know if is exactly what you need is by asking google.   There are SOOOO many variables and the seller cant smell what you are after.  If the seller discloses the COMPLETE MODEL NUMBER, he has done his part IMHO.

What is MORE IMPORTANT is the condition- lightning damage, coastal climates, body damage indicating a drop  and could result in a crack in the PC board etc.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
I feel that the onus is on you to research the item, I unsure ask the seller either in thread or pm etc..

If the seller then misleads you...well that’s a whole new debate

+1

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
I have a friend who is not at all computer-literate and he has been "caught" by buying something that turned out to be somewhat out of date.  Luckily, upon complaining, the seller took it back and acknowledged that his advert was misleading

He had Googled the product name, but was not specific about the model and said DAC turned out to be a 199X model instead of a 2010 model he thought he was buying.  It was only when it arrived and he looked at the connections that I realised it was an old model

A URL relating to the object being offered is most useful.

The question to ask here is : Is your friend a forum member and did he buy it from a forum member?

The answer to that would either be worth investigating or not?
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Online Spurge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
"Age" should be part of the seller template and to be disclosed as honestly as is possible. But if the seller does not know then that should be said as well.

I have a greater problem with "condition". No diferentiation is made between operating condition and cosmetic condition.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
The question to ask here is : Is your friend a forum member and did he buy it from a forum member?

The answer to that would either be worth investigating or not?

Yes to both questions.  He is embarassed by not doing his homework and in fact was his first purchase.  Had I been around to assist him, he would not have made this mistake.  This occurred in September 2016 when I was away

Since then, he spotted another item and got all fired up.  I looked it up and found it was first sold in 2005 and would have been a step backwards

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 11:09:18 AM »
in all reality any information thats not revealed on the sale thread can be queried if you are interested in the item ... if i was purchasing electronics or speakers i would still pester the seller and ask him loads of questions via PM before diving into the purchase unless its an item that i know well enough and is rare enough to just respond to with a confirmation that im taking it

i reckon that if theres any doubt about anything then ask every question required to remove the doubt before confirming the purchase 

Offline Baseline

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »
Firstly, this thread is in the wrong category. Should be under General Discussion.

Secondly, the onus in on the buyer to research what they want and not expect to be spoon fed and educated by the seller.

Thirdly, only in the case of DACs, CD players and other digital media is age of relevance in regard to keeping up with advancements in the technology. Essentially amplification (obviously excluding AV receivers), speakers, turntables and tape decks reached the maturation of those technologies in the golden age of audio around the 1970s. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:24:07 AM by Baseline »
.It's all about the Music.

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
I like the idea of using a standard template for sales.

Item:
Packaging:
Price:
Shipping:
Link:
Reason for selling:

And a nice pic of said item.

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Firstly, this thread is in the wrong category. Should be under General Discussion.

Secondly, the onus in on the buyer to research what they want and not expect to be spoon fed and educated by the seller.

Thirdly, only in the case of DACs, CD players and other digital media is age of relevance in regard to keeping up with advancements in the technology. Essentially amplification (obviously excluding AV receivers), speakers, turntables and tape decks reached the maturation of those technologies in the golden age of audio around the 1970s. Just my opinion.

Age can mean possibly more wear and tear, as well as degradation of some materials.

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
I like the idea of using a standard template for sales.

Item:
Packaging:
Price:
Shipping:
Link:
Reason for selling:

And a nice pic of said item.

Agree in principle, but I've always found 'Reason for selling' to be a pretty pointless parameter.
As if a good 'reason for selling' somehow negates the possibility that someone's trying to flog a suspect item.
I think people just pick any old random universal reason anyway:
1) Need cash, 2) no longer need/use it, 3) have too many of (item type), 4) wife told me to sell it, etc. etc.
If there's a dodgy reason for selling, no one's going to tell you anyway. It's like when they ask you if you're a terrorist in a visa application.
Besides, when you're selling a car, you don't give a reason. All you're doing, is saying, hey, I'm selling my car, do you want it?
Maybe that's just me.

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut˛
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
Agree in principle, but I've always found 'Reason for selling' to be a pretty pointless parameter.
As if a good 'reason for selling' somehow negates the possibility that someone's trying to flog a suspect item.
I think people just pick any old random universal reason anyway:
1) Need cash, 2) no longer need/use it, 3) have too many of (item type), 4) wife told me to sell it, etc. etc.
If there's a dodgy reason for selling, no one's going to tell you anyway. It's like when they ask you if you're a terrorist in a visa application.
Besides, when you're selling a car, you don't give a reason. All you're doing, is saying, hey, I'm selling my car, do you want it?
Maybe that's just me.

Yep the ‘reason for selling’ bit is a little bizarre.  With the visa thing my favourite was the US waiver which also asked if you had been responsible for Nazi war crimes or were a Nazi.  Guess they got rid of that when they put a Quisling in the White House with Nazis pulling all the strings.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
Guess they got rid of that when they put a Quisling in the White House with Nazis pulling all the strings.

Nice - calling it like it is... :)

Online Spurge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »
"Condition" is still a problem and should rather be split into two >>>

Operating condition >>> which should be pref b 100%, but could b stated as 95% due to a "vibration when driven hard" or something like that.
Cosmetic condition >>> 80% due to scrathes on top surface etc.

Not everyone can post pictures.

"shipping" is not good enough either. Because all it can say is "yes". What about "shipping risk"?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »
My good is another persons mint condition. Our standards do not seem equal on this. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za