Author Topic: Should the age of an advertised item be a compulsary requirement?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
There are many ads for superb-sounding equipment, that when you do a Google search, find it is 10 or more years old

While this might not matter with items like turntables and some amps, technology advances so fast that what might be state of the art in 2010 is outdated in 2017, and worse, cannot be upgraded

Some advertisers merely state how long they have had the item, which means nothing related to its age.  It might be 3rd or 4th hand by the time it is offered for sale

Many AVRs and amps (thinking of Devialet) can be upgraded in similar fashion by applying a piece of software provided by the manufacturer.  This helps to keep the item current.  However, this facility has only become more widely available in the past few years.

MyBroadband has strict criteria how classified adverts should be worded in order to provide as much information to the prospective buyer as possible.  This forum has come a long way in establishing guidelines, but the original age aspect seems not to have had attention

Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline Crashappy

Re: Should the age of an advertised item be a compulsary requirement?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »
I feel the same, but given the fact that members do not even stick to the current "compulsory"/suggested format and info I have no hope in hell that they would state age.

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
You can find the age at least approximately/pessimistically from the make and model. Assume the earliest release of that model and you're safe.
Mobile: LG V30, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD6XX

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »
Buyer beware. Google is your friend.

So many times I have googled an item for sale, seemingly a good bargain, only to find that I have previously been to the target page. And when I get there I see the reason, which mostly turns out to be that the item is obsolete or specs/performance is poorer than one would expect.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline zer0

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 05:10:54 PM »
Would AV goods be referred to as male or female :thinking:
Don't state the age if it's female.

On a serious note, stating condition is a lot more important. Odds are you'll be googling whichever item for specs and reviews in any case so you'll find out what age/generation it is.

Online XL1000

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 05:20:26 PM »
Buyer beware. Google is your friend.

So many times I have googled an item for sale, seemingly a good bargain, only to find that I have previously been to the target page. And when I get there I see the reason, which mostly turns out to be that the item is obsolete or specs/performance is poorer than one would expect.

I agree completely and it is to a large degree the buyers duty to research the advertised item.
Show me one seller that ever selects a mediocre review let alone a bad one. Heck, we scour the internet to find a review that will do our sale proud.

Having purchased items from well know members here only to find the insides of an amp have been butchered can be just as disappointing to say the least.
So as far as age goes, that's easy enough to determine in most cases. I would like to know if an item has been modified, worked on, repaired before giving too much concern to age.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Just go ahead and panic.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »
What makes this even trickier is when the same model has been (or used to be) available for a very long time.
E.g. Linn LP12.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »
I feel the same, but given the fact that members do not even stick to the current "compulsory"/suggested format and info I have no hope in hell that they would state age.

Exactly.
Caveat emptor - Do your homework before you buy.

Offline BillyBawb

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »
Exactly.
Caveat emptor - Do your homework before you buy.

This

Unless a template is enforced by the mods (IE, deleting posts until people comply with using the template - a moderating nightmare), you donít have a hope in hell of getting people to state the age.
Main: CX-A5100| Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig 5ch SII| B&W Nautilus 802| NHTM1| N804 | SST4| SCM1| ASW 800| SW380| UA82MU8000
Bedroom: RX-A860| B&W FPM4 + FPM2 5.1 | D10.GX| UA65KS9500
Study: Panorama 2| UA55D8000
Plex + 90TB FreeNAS

Offline revtoluck

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »
Stating the age will help buyers to make an educated decision.

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
The whole idea of a sales section in a forum, is that bull :cr@p: is not tolerated, whether you are a buyer or a seller.

Most of us here know our stuff , and someone selling junk or over priced equipment will simply be ignored or will ( hopefully )l receive a polite comment guiding them in the right direction.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline adie

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »
^^^
What the noizeguy and Curlycat said.

My Broadband?
Not necessarily an act worth following.

Offline Stormy Norman

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
For all the old items that I advertise I include the link for Hifi Engine, they always have the age of the item.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
I have a friend who is not at all computer-literate and he has been "caught" by buying something that turned out to be somewhat out of date.  Luckily, upon complaining, the seller took it back and acknowledged that his advert was misleading

He had Googled the product name, but was not specific about the model and said DAC turned out to be a 199X model instead of a 2010 model he thought he was buying.  It was only when it arrived and he looked at the connections that I realised it was an old model

A URL relating to the object being offered is most useful.
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline Larry

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
I feel that the onus is on you to research the item, I unsure ask the seller either in thread or pm etc..

If the seller then misleads you...well thatís a whole new debate