Author Topic: Time for a Little Honesty.... :-)  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Time for a Little Honesty.... :-)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
Forgive me for asking but what is not practical about a Chromecast.
It's super intuitive, there is a little icon that shows at the bottom of most apps if they support it which if tapped will cast to the device.
https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/how-to/tidal-101-cast-music-your-google-home-chromecast-0180417/

In my wife's world, music comes out of an AppleTV, hence my original post.

Offline Rotelman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 02:52:53 PM »
.....  Iím not interested in doing it via Airplay from my phone, I want an app on the device for a variety of reasons.

I'm a newbie to the dark world of tv boxes, dacs and the like, so take the following with a pinch of salt if you must, but my understanding is that you can load kodi onto the apple tv boxes 2 and up in a workaround way, not directly from the appstore. With all the addons available for kodi once loaded and working, I think you can succeed in your goal?

Offline Simango4

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
I've used Spotify and Soundcloud through my HTPC...and here's my verdict on their sound quality compromises:

I had setup a Spotify (free account) which plays music at 160kbps (fair MP3 quality in my opinion, although 192kbps would have been ideal for free mode) on my HTPC.

The sound quality was noticeably poor at the low end of the frequency spectrum, the bass sounds too softened (worse than Rotel sound at low volume or Onkyo sound signature, or "Trace Urban music" on DSTV), it just lacked both tightness/strength and depth.

It became more apparent when I played the same song that was stored in the same PC as an MP3, I then listened to it in both 128kbps, 160kbps and 320kbps to get a fair comparison, and the results were consistent, Sptify had an extremely noticeable poor bass response compared to any of the mp3s with the above mentioned bit rates. I then tried a whole lot of different tracks I had in the PC to compare with spotify's, I was dissapointed in spotify such that I no longer use it till date.

Oh and Soundcloud, they use 128kbps instead, however, I found that their sound quality was very close to the stored MP3 128kbps in my PC, the bass response is indistinguishable...the only problem is the upper frequency performance, it sounds much like youtube videos (although youtube is a little bit worse), they both noticeably suffer at the top end...especially when listened on revealing sound systems.

So for now, I prefer PC stored music (MP3, FLAC, WAV etc.) over streaming, I am yet to find a decent quality streaming service provider.

All in all, I'd say for vocal and classic type of music without tight bass instruments, spotify would do.

But for my type of music which is more melodic rhythm based with various types of beats (i.e. Ambient/Chillout, Chill house, Chillhop & Triphop, Progressive House, Old School Hip-Hop and R&B etc.)..I wouldn't recommend Spotify!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:15:29 PM by Simango4 »
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline nubble

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
Its my understanding that Apple Music will be streamed directly to the ATV Gen4 which you control with the atv remote - using the music app on the atv. Maybe you can use the apple remote app on your phone to control this also like you can to an itunes lib. I dunno - can give some feedback in a week when I get my atv gen4. So this is similar to the chromecast solution. You will be able to also stream apple music on your phone and airplay it to the atv or any other airplay devices. I use apple music and airplay devices in 3 rooms. the convenience and mobility of sending music to any airplay sound sink is great and my wife uses it all the time.
Note though that apple music will migrate your itunes lib [including lossless alac files] to 256kb [44.1kHz sampling] AAC files when you port to apple music. My ears cant tell the difference between the lossly and lossless, so Im good with apple music and its convenience. Try these tests here to complare lossy and lossless:   https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,68490.0.html

Offline Larry

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »
So Tidal solved this problem for me.

They released an Apple TV app in December.

ATV - > HDMI to Audio/Splitter -> Spdif into DAC.

Perfect solution, wife got comfortable quickly with it.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:17 PM »
Saw the release notice and thought of your thread, just couldnít remember itís heading.  Glad you became aware of it and are sorted. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Larry

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 07:11:32 AM »
Thanks Hi-Phi

Offline Terra

• AVForums Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 06:38:38 AM »
I'm really glad to hear Tidal finally released an app for the ATV4 recently. I pestered both them and Deezer a few times regarding this. Unfortunately I already cancelled my subscription for Tidal due to poor uploading from their side.
Back to your initial question, I had iTunes on my ATV4 and I was rather impressed with the quality and interface of the app. Though also being only 256kbps quality wasn't all that bad either.
My 2cents will be, if you are only going to use the ATV4 to have background music, I'd say go for Itunes. If it's for more serious listening, Tidal. Well, this depends, is it really the HiFi version or will the streaming be 320kbps. Did you perhaps research this? I would also like to know...

Offline Larry

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
I'm really glad to hear Tidal finally released an app for the ATV4 recently. I pestered both them and Deezer a few times regarding this. Unfortunately I already cancelled my subscription for Tidal due to poor uploading from their side.
Back to your initial question, I had iTunes on my ATV4 and I was rather impressed with the quality and interface of the app. Though also being only 256kbps quality wasn't all that bad either.
My 2cents will be, if you are only going to use the ATV4 to have background music, I'd say go for Itunes. If it's for more serious listening, Tidal. Well, this depends, is it really the HiFi version or will the streaming be 320kbps. Did you perhaps research this? I would also like to know...

Thanks for the feedback Terra

if you procure the HiFi option, you get the lossless playback on ATV, I've been very impressed with the sound quality, .

There are some albums that sound better than my originals, possibly because I bought some sub standard SA copies back in the day I imagine.

I find the app a little clunky, however its the first production iteration so at this point I'm quite optimistic that there will be improvements coming.

One of the feature missing for me, is that when browsing a playlist, if you like a song you cannot get directly from that song to the original album.  Drives me nuts!

Other than that, loving it.

Offline Terra

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »
That is what I loved about Deezer when I was still with them. The interface was basically flawless. But I'm sure that Tidal will hopefully step it up with their interface. I on the other hand will now be waiting for Deezer HiFi to come to ATV. Then I'll be happy chappy.
I'm contemplating installing my HDMI extractor again (I think you and I have the same one, HD Cabling purchase?) on the ATV as I listen to my flac albums for background via Plex and serious listening I startup the CD's.

Offline Larry

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
I'm contemplating installing my HDMI extractor again (I think you and I have the same one, HD Cabling purchase?) on the ATV as I listen to my flac albums for background via Plex and serious listening I startup the CD's.

Yup - same one.

I couldnít go back to CDs after all these years of lossless music on a network, and now streamed.  So for me, the audio extractor is very important, the difference between the ATVís DAC and my somewhat modest Cambridge Audio DAC Magic (even 7 or 8 years down the line) is absolute light and day.