Author Topic: Time for a Little Honesty.... :-)  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Larry

Time for a Little Honesty.... :-)
« on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
So Iíve been naively waiting for Tidal, Deezer or Spotify (or whomever) to supply an app for my Gen4 Apple TV.  Of course, its become clear that Apple arenít going to let other providers have such a nice pretty platform to peddle their wares on next to Apple Music. 

Now donít get me wrong, Iím a fan of the AppleTV, I think itís a great product (if a little more pricey) and extremely slick compared to many other media players available.

However I cannot wait any longer, I need a music streaming solution and Iím somewhat cornered into using Appleís music streaming service.  Iím not interested in doing it via Airplay from my phone, I want an app on the device for a variety of reasons.

The big question:  Is anyone using it?   Is there a real difference in sound quality compared to others solutions tested.

Some of you might say, ďwhy havenít you just tried it?Ē.  Well the short answer is ( :whistler:) I need to go to the effort of moving my iTunes account back to SA.  This requires me to jump through a few hoops in terms of securing my music etcÖ

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Time for a Little Honesty.... :-)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
Rather than move your iTunes account to SA, set up another one.  I had a UK based iTunes account and when they finally launched over here moved it over so that I could make use of vouchers and the lower SA prices.  The result - I lost two albums that I had as 'the iTunes SA store does not stock them'.  However, their much vaunted security was easy to override (copy albums back to computer based iTunes account - this was what they told me on the helpline) so they shows up not as a purchase but an added album with all the CDs I loaded.

Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 10:43:28 AM »
Consider a Chromecast  Audio.   Itís not quite airplay and it isnít quite an app on the chromecast device.   

The handheld device with app is the remote but the music file data goes direct to the chromecast, not via the I device. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Larry

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
Rather than move your iTunes account to SA, set up another one.  I had a UK based iTunes account and when they finally launched over here moved it over so that I could make use of vouchers and the lower SA prices.  The result - I lost two albums that I had as 'the iTunes SA store does not stock them'.  However, their much vaunted security was easy to override (copy albums back to computer based iTunes account - this was what they told me on the helpline) so they shows up not as a purchase but an added album with all the CDs I loaded.

Thanks Jonny, that's useful information! - for me, the bigger question is about whether you feel the sound quality is lacking in anyway?

Offline Larry

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
Consider a Chromecast  Audio.   Itís not quite airplay and it isnít quite an app on the chromecast device.   

The handheld device with app is the remote but the music file data goes direct to the chromecast, not via the I device. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]

Thanks for this, I'd really rather avoid introducing another device, especially as my wife is not very technical (by "not very" I mean really, really, really not) and she loves to use the ATV for music.

Currently the ITunes lib is used for listening.  ALAC on Itunes Lib -> ATV-> DAC -> Amp.

Thus an extension of this would be easiest

Offline ron g

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »

The big question:  Is anyone using it?   Is there a real difference in sound quality compared to others solutions tested.

i think the impact would depend largely on your system & on your ears.
there have been some discussions around this, & links to some sites which have samples at varying resolutions - it may be worth trying those to see if you can hear any differences.
or perhaps the neil young archive site which allows for various resolutions of streaming.
assuming of course that you would be able to play the streams from these sources on your system.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »
I only tend to listen to iTunes on my iPod (it's actually an iPhone but just as easy to use since my iPod crashed and went kaput!) so could not easily say about sound quality for 'proper' listening.  I know that when I was originally buying iTunes (with the UK based voucher) it was possible to burn an audio disc so I'm unsure what encoding was available for that - as a back up CD I expect reasonably high.  Not sure at all about the streaming thing - I didn't sign up for it after the 'U2' album fiasco - bleeding thing downloaded the worst album they've ever recorded automatically to my iPad thus using up most of my airtime a week before I had the opportunity to go and buy some more (I was on eTa PAYG at the time and the nearest place to get airtime was at Pavilion which I can only get to on weekends).  Figured if streaming was going to be about 200 Mb per album (like the U2), I'd rather give it a miss.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Atjan

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
Since getting my Chromecast, my SB Touch is almost completely unused. If you can stream music on your phone/tablet, then you can play it via the Chromecast. It's  a matter of switching the hifi on and doing a 2 touch cast from the device. SQ seems to be largely dependent on the source and the internet connection.
It's only hifi people....

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »
+2 for Chromecast. :thumbs:
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Larry

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
Since getting my Chromecast, my SB Touch is almost completely unused. If you can stream music on your phone/tablet, then you can play it via the Chromecast. It's  a matter of switching the hifi on and doing a 2 touch cast from the device. SQ seems to be largely dependent on the source and the internet connection.

Is this not the same principal as AirPlay?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
No.  With airplay streamed music comes to your phone and then from phone to airplay device. 

With chromecast the music is sent straight to the chromecast, the phone just directs what should be sent there.  Thus network traffic is I suppose halved. 

Record man speaking.   Not an it super user. 

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Larry

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
No.  With airplay streamed music comes to your phone and then from phone to airplay device. 

With chromecast the music is sent straight to the chromecast, the phone just directs what should be sent there.  Thus network traffic is I suppose halved. 

Record man speaking.   Not an it super user. 

Ok - fair enough.

Offline OliverRC

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
I am using a nVidia Shield and I cast TIDAL and Google Play music to that. So similar to the other suggestions.
The benefit to the cast technology is that once the cast has begun your phone is nothing more than a controller.

The app is actually running on the Chromecast (or Shield) and therefore gets all the full benefit on running directly on the device outputting audio via HDMI.
For those interested below is the supported media for a Chromecast Receiver application.
https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

Personally I could tell (albeit it depends on the tracks) the difference between Tidal (Hifi) and Google Play Music in terms of audio fidelity.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:00:23 PM by OliverRC »

Offline Larry

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »
^^^^

Thanks - not practical, as I want this solution to be easy to use for my tech-phobic infinitely better half

Offline OliverRC

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »
Forgive me for asking but what is not practical about a Chromecast.
It's super intuitive, there is a little icon that shows at the bottom of most apps if they support it which if tapped will cast to the device.
https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/how-to/tidal-101-cast-music-your-google-home-chromecast-0180417/