Author Topic: home theatre speakers - value for money brands  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • One Life...Live It.
Re: home theatre speakers - value for money brands
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
For someone starting out - Buy something that you can sell at a later stage --- that's where common brands win.
Marantz - Bowers & Wilkins - AudioQuest

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • "I live, I Love, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:16 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  :thumbs: I didnt know or want to assume that non-matched surround sound speakers give sub-par results. Thanks for confirming this.
I was keen on B&W 603 S3 and equivalent centre, then getting M-1 V2 for surround and surround back  :BANDW:, but now that could all be out the window in that its not a matched set. Back to the drawing board I guess. :wallbreak:

Im not sure if we he stereo set up and av will be seperate or in the same room?
First off i had that amp and speaker set up for a while and wow what a match. You will have to try a lot and spend big to upgrade yout fronts from where you are. Trust me it took me long and paid top dollar. So thats a great base to start from. I would pre out the amp and use the nad as a power amp and th n get the matching centre and surrounds for that series they are reasonably avaible on the forum, quality matching and you will always get your bucks back on this brand and for a matching set. Even the asw subs will pair great.

Failing that i would look for a centre and rears in the M1 series as mentioned but i think you will pay more and i personally think a matching set will probably sounds better amd smoother.

Good luck

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • Affordable Home Automation
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:33 PM »
For someone starting out - Buy something that you can sell at a later stage --- that's where common brands win.

The thing is they may then sit for a few years with something less than ideal. I've got a set of Elac that are - according to many reviews - better than the equivalent B&W or Monitor Audio. I know that due the brand, I'l battle to get 1/4 now. So - go for a slightly 'inferior' speaker an get the resale at the end of the day, or go for something you prefer and take a knock?

I apply the same to cars. I love my Volvos and 10% loss at the end of the day is worth it, compared to buying an Audi / BMW / Merc which are OK, but don't I won't enjoy over the years

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 12:23:11 AM »
The thing is they may then sit for a few years with something less than ideal. I've got a set of Elac that are - according to many reviews - better than the equivalent B&W or Monitor Audio. I know that due the brand, I'l battle to get 1/4 now. So - go for a slightly 'inferior' speaker an get the resale at the end of the day, or go for something you prefer and take a knock?

I apply the same to cars. I love my Volvos and 10% loss at the end of the day is worth it, compared to buying an Audi / BMW / Merc which are OK, but don't I won't enjoy over the years

i also got a set of speakers that not everyone knows about ie Cambridge audio Aeros and to my ears they perform as good as if not better than the universally accepted favourite brands (generally better ... but off course im biased because its what i own  ;) )

I have heard many of those Elacs at Clives place and im very impressed with them and if i could have afforded those i would have gone with something similar but at the time i was purchasing those Elacs were not available at comparatively affordable (to me) pricing ie they were around three times my budget and when they were being cleared they were far close to my budget but by then i already had the Cambridge audios for a while

why i love the Cambridge audios is because of the BMR drivers vs a conventional tweeter you can use them in a room which has tiles and they dont become edgy or harsh like a conventional tweeter would so they need less room treatment and less work to sound great (though if you have a pre treated room they could get a bit too dull to create an exciting type of sound)

so i would chose the brand to fit the circumstances  :nfi: but rest assured i really like the JET (AMT) tweeters of the ELAC speakers that i have heard and in the right room these can be a detail lovers dream speakers and like yourself to me im not bothered about resale value of the Cambridge Audio speakers because i intend to still use them for a very long time

Offline Dolby

• AVForums Veteran
    • Affordable Home Automation
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
Oh I think they're fantastic and have absolutely no desire to sell them. But in think if I did, I wouldn't get 20% of their worth as not too many know them.

But I was getting at the fact that I'd rather have something I enjoy during my life as opposed to something that sells well. Most my life is like that :)

Nice speakers btw! I don't know much of their speakers if I'm honest, but love their electronics

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+26)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 09:19:14 AM »
^^ Yeah... elac is a good speakers I think and it's a sad story.  It's all about marketing. Wharfdale (which didn't sell until they were eventually GIVING them away) is another example.

Offline matthieup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »
I run 603s3 at the front and they're great (LCR60 s3 center, asw650 sub and soon 4 LM1 surround)

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 07:13:03 AM »
The bentley combo deal cant be beat.

Offline Jukkelstukkel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
The Mission MX series Combo pack i.e. MX-3, MX-C1, MX-S plus MS150 sub is an excellent entry-level pack. The MX-3 towers were What-Hifi? 5 star rated performers when reviewed years ago. If your room is above average size then step up to the package with the MX-5s

Offline optimus

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
I went the route of buying a full set of what I could afford at the time ( Boston Classic Series ) , to avoid any issues of availability further down the road .

While they are  very entry level ( only because I have subsequently been exposed to many more set ups ) , I still find them adequate to this day

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
Looks like it's the Bentleys that offer big bang for your buck these days.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »
^^ Yeah... elac is a good speakers I think and it's a sad story.  It's all about marketing. Wharfdale (which didn't sell until they were eventually GIVING them away) is another example.

Thanks to Hifi corp
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP