Author Topic: home theatre speakers - value for money brands  (Read 3456 times)

Offline nubble

home theatre speakers - value for money brands
« on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »
Im wanting to put together an [entry level?] audiophile home theatre setup. Money is tight, and so Im not looking to splurge but wanting to get value for money speakers, and maybe 2 at a time. Im about to get a Marantz SR5006 amp [7.1], and need to determine which speakers I can get that pair well with this, and that also are good for home theatre. Someone once told me that Jamo are great for home theatre. I was thinking of starting with a pair of floorstanders, and the centre.
In my stereo setup in my lounge I have B&W DM603 S3 powered with a NAD356BEE, which I am quite enjoying. How will B&W fair in home theatre? Although Im thinking of maybe getting something else just for variation.

So any advice on this front would be highly appreciated.
thanks

Offline Morgan Irwin

Re: home theatre speakers - value for money brands
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »
Personally, I am a big fan of Jamo speakers and even have a pair of C97's in stock here in Cape Town that I use as demonstration speakers.
They make brilliant speakers and have matched some of their smaller bookshelf speakers to work well with floor standers for a surround sound setup. So from that point of view, yes they will do great job at being a good quality home theatre setup.

If you are up for it, I would be happy to meet with you and introduce you to the different ranges that they have available so that you can be more aware of what is on offer from them?
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.MirrorEdgeNetworks.com

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs On Order. Spades in Stock
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »
Might take you a while to get a whole set, but the B&W M-1s that I just sold were among the best HT speakers that I have heard.  They rivalled large speakers - and I've had some high end HT speakers.  They integrated very well with a sub.  The center sounded much larger.  My room is about 4,5m x 6,5m, and these filled the room easily. Just one iption

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
My advice: don't fixate on brand name, because -especially the big brands like Jamo- make a wide variety of speakers that perform at different levels. So you may find something that pleases you and fits your purse from unexpected sources, but only if you open yourself up to it.

If you want ultimate value for money, then you should also consider buying used. Loudspeakers are probably the safest audio component to buy second hand because of their reliability, needing no servicing if they are in fully functional condition. I suggest you start by defining your budget (and stating it here); then you may find some offers being made.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »
Entry level is relative to the depth of one's pocket :)  that said... the Jamo S series is currently on clearance https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,66400.0.html, to the point as to that you can probably get a 5.0 for the price of what the replacement towers alone will cost. Let me know if I can help..

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs On Order. Spades in Stock
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
Entry level is relative to the depth of one's pocket :)  that said... the Jamo S series is currently on clearance https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,66400.0.html, to the point as to that you can probably get a 5.0 for the price of what the replacement towers alone will cost. Let me know if I can help..

That Jamo S626 brand new is a killer deal

Offline nubble

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
I,ve never heard the M-1s, but they look like a solid build with good reviews.  :thinking: If I initially get a set of these now as fronts and centre, then perhaps later these can migrate to surrounds/back later on when I get proper floor standing fronts.  :thinking:
Thanks for the advice on buying used - I think this is the best route for now. I see plenty up for grabs here on the forum, just need to get going with something initially.
Should all the 7.1 speakers ideally be all the same brand and model, or have people mixed it up?

Offline nubble

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »
Ill post the dimension of the room tonight - its a relatively large space.
I've also assumed that home theatre meant being used with tv watching/movies, and not really for music. Just thought I would explicitly mention this.  :angel:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:20:00 AM by nubble »

Offline Dolby

Offline naughty

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:22:15 AM »
I dont fixate on brands because i buy whatever brand i can get for a good price at the time i am buying

BUT

let me give you one bit of advice in terms of what i have found to be sensible

do not plan to buy one pair of speakers at a time since you will always (and i really mean always) land up then not being able to complete a set because the series changes and then the balance of the older series is not always available under these circumstances so IMHO rather buy a full set in one go and buy Price-down if you have to in terms of affordability because this means that you will always have a matched set which will mostly give you a better surround experience than only a better stereo pair which cannot give you surround sound at all

i prefer to match the set in as far as i want the same brand and series of speakers for my complete setup (even though they arguably wont all sound exactly the same its actually easier for the matched set to create some form of coherence for surround sound)

you always get inane comments about surround sound from people who mixed and matched all the time and have gotten sub par results and now as a result of their own disillusionment will offer incorrect advice about buying "one step at a time and mismatched sets" and this will always give you the same results that those people got and it will eventually drive you away from surround sound

if you truly want good a good audio experience for your movies then buy a comparatively matched set and get it all in one go if you can .... which is why something like those complete sets from Judy make great sense and they dont break the bank either .... so i would rather go for something like that instead of a "supposedly" better pair of front floorstanders at the same price where you intend to buy matching rears and centre channel at a later stage .... well when you have the funds that centre and rears will not be available and will have been replaced by something else forcing you to buy a new set of fronts anyway OR getting alternative mismatched items which will invariably impede the overall quality of your surround experience ... so only do the "step by step" thing if cash flow is really an issue (but in that case its not really advisable to buy any so-called luxury items like surround sound at that point anyway)

my final opinion on the whole issue is to buy a complete entry level set and when funds permit to sell this and add the balance to upgrade to a complete mid-level set .... this has always worked well for me and i have always had surround sound that performed above expectations for the prices i paid  ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:27:06 AM by naughty »

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 07:00:03 AM »
Some very good advice here. And, yes, I do like Judy's offer (if still available). I like those speakers, too.

I just want add that "entry level" must never equate to cheap or low quality. It simply means that you are buying good stuff, but at the more affordable end of the scale. Compromising too much can make it difficult to sell when you want to upgrade.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline nubble

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  :thumbs: I didnt know or want to assume that non-matched surround sound speakers give sub-par results. Thanks for confirming this.
I was keen on B&W 603 S3 and equivalent centre, then getting M-1 V2 for surround and surround back  :BANDW:, but now that could all be out the window in that its not a matched set. Back to the drawing board I guess. :wallbreak:

Offline naughty

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  :thumbs: I didnt know or want to assume that non-matched surround sound speakers give sub-par results. Thanks for confirming this.
I was keen on B&W 603 S3 and equivalent centre, then getting M-1 V2 for surround and surround back  :BANDW:, but now that could all be out the window in that its not a matched set. Back to the drawing board I guess. :wallbreak:

look - maybe that proposed setup could be okay - but you would need to know from someone who used the combo  :nfi:

its not a 100% given that ALL matched sets would be great or even not a 100% given that ALL non matched sets would be bad, so dont take my comments as gospel even though i believe in what i say someone else could have a different opinion, so rather let everyone have their say and see from there what you can glean from everything that is said by everyone

i stand by what i said because its been my experience - others may have had a different experience so i cannot speak for them

Offline nubble

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »
The room size is 6mx6m.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
^^ wondering where you are parking your car ??  ;D