So What's the buzz between a TD124 and a 301?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
As you may know to being bored stiff, I am a Garrard 301 man through and through - grease or oil, I have both. Several times during the past 4 decades and more, I have passed on Thorens TD124's. First, I don't like the styling which is my personal choice. Secondly, I don't like its 'complications' below decks - ya know belts and overpriced 'mushrooms' or pricey parts from exploitative vendors?

Do they sound 'better' than a simple, solid cast aluminium top plate as against what appears to be a piece of stamped sheet metal? Then there's the fragility of an integrated armboard cavity. The slightest bump and the top plate/chassis is a nightmare to fix. Is it because they are Swiss made?

I'm not slagging off TD124's but what exactly is it about these decks - the retro look, their scarcity or what? Or even that oversized lever or their inbuilt strobe light??

It's not sour grapes gents - I've been offered several over the years - some pristine ones for zilch and said "No Thanks!" many times. 'struth - the last one from my bro' in law.

skollie

Latest posts