Shure V15IV question

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan_ZA

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I bough a Shure V15 Type IV with an original stylus that looked in fantastic condition.
However, during play it sounded fuzzy and buzzy and weird (excuse the high-end audiophile terms) and almost like there is no diamond tip on the cantilever! (but there clearly is, visibly). Tracked ok, though.

I left it, thinking the stylus was shot, and I would get a good one some day.

A little while ago I bought another Shure V15 Type IV cart with original stylus, hardly used.

It sounds exactly the same as my first one - fuzzy, buzzy and "wrong".

What are the chances both stylii, looking perfect, are shot?

More info:

1. With the Dynamic Stabilizer operating, I set the tracking force, very accurately, to 1,75g. Both carts sound the same (wrong).
2. Without the Dynamic Stabilizer operating, I set the tracking force, very accurately, to 1,25g. Both carts sound the same (wrong).
3. Both carts play perfectly, and sound "right", with a Shure V15 Type III stylus fitted. It fits, but does not look right / is not meant for the Type IV.

Am I doing something wrong, or are both stylii, despite looking "perfect", actually shot?

Happy to receive any advice / ideas.

Aq.