Author Topic: OK Now I have the need to build  (Read 1156 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
OK Now I have the need to build
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
After the crazy frog Laika build, Im looking at a quick and dirty open baffle with the 6 Philips drivers.  Im thinking try a bit of stuff cardboard box first, then maybe some old shelves from a ripped out lab.  Any suggestions on size? id Like to turn them into something that will not be too wide and have a good idea for finishing.  Ill be incorporating Golden ratios.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: OK Now I have the need to build
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
Just thought, what about toilet lids (boogie boards, not sure what the name is over here).  Theyd look funky!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »
Second hand surfboards must be a dime a dozen there - obvs you could play the Beach Boys

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
Too big though, otherwise Id try it.  Decent looking boards are quite pricey even second hand

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »
The board needs to be large enough not to allow cancellation.  A way to reduce width and or height is with a curved panel.

If you mount the driver rigidly with a stand of sorts the panel could be a light weight collar. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Just thought, what about toilet lids (boogie boards, not sure what the name is over here).  Theyd look funky!

I've heard surfers disparagingly call them "shark biscuits"  ;D

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
I've heard surfers disparagingly call them "shark biscuits"  ;D

As opposed to 'shark finger biscuits'?

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
OK, decided I'd go simple and functional with a pretty classic OB look.

A few web searches gave very little information for size of baffles.  I had done this before and generally the advice was the bigger the better, try to include the golden ratio (for aesthetic purposes if nothing else), and either fold the sides or have a single panel.  I drew up some possible designs and then checked up exactly what would be easily obtainable from Builders or the like which I can then cut and do everything with at home (this will be a weekend or two build).

So, final version is one pine laminate shelf cut into two pieces (comes close to the Golden Ratio) with the 6" full range drivers positioned according to the Golden ratio.  I still have some gel stains left from doing my hifi stand (one mahogany, one cherry) and as the pine laminate is effectively pine boards glued together, I'll do a striped stain effect with some masking tape.  Feet will be shelf brackets on one side and I'll mount binding posts onto some off cuts from the bin and position them at the bottom.

I have an idea for a name, but don't want to commit to it until they start taking shape.  The mahogany and cherry colours do look a little purple and orange though so any English psychedelia fans out there may recognise the stripes being based upon some famous floorboards.  Sadly, no Eskimos available to pose with them (another clue).

Here's the plans though:

front view envisaged with dimensions (mm)

Side view:

Anyway, got to tootle on now. Got to help Gerald find somewhere to stay (huge obvious clue)

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »
A laughable, madcap idea in some respects.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 11:07:59 PM »
Most definitely, I see dominoes and gigolo aunts playing a part. Hopefully no Arnold Laynes in my block!

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
Well, I'm never one to look a gift horse in the mouth and remembered that about ten years ago we had pulled some shelves out of an old lab and the wood was still sitting in the workshop waiting for a use.  So, sorted through the shelves, picked two that looked promising (i.e. the cracks were small at the top and bottom, there wasn't quite as much grease on the old varnish), cut them down to 600mm length (left the width as it was 496mm approx 4/3 Golden Ratio x 600), cleaned off the dust and gunk and sanded them down.  Nice grain as seen in the photo):

I've marked on the driver positions (Golden ratio x 496 from one side) so next up is staining and sealing (I have gel stains at home, just got to get some woodoc 20), then cut the holes, assemble and test.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:52:05 AM by JonnyP »

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »
Nice!
Any shelves for sale?
I'm building a pair of AV stands and have cut wood but would rather use a nice wide piece than laminate plankies.
Though I do like the Baltic pine.
For cheap timber in Durban check out http://www.hearteco.co.za/

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
They are actually laminate (well, planks stuck together side by side), and unfortunately, no way of selling anything - even scrap from the Uni has to have a vendors thing going on.  They get used occasionally in bits of kit.  When I built my stand I used some similar shelving material from Wardkiss then added a layer of mdf under each shelf so top looks nice (pine, stained and sealed) but additional strength from a layer of mdf underneath
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:07:46 AM by JonnyP »

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »
Stained and sealed and just drying off before assembly tomorrow

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »
So, they are finished:

Very easy this one compared to the Laikas, I've even got the hang of not drilling all the way through the wood accidentally.

Put some simple homemade being posts on as well (haven't had the time to go to an electronics shop so a few bolts and nuts did the trick

Total cost was mainly the wood sealant (R120) and drivers.  About R30 in screws and nuts, and R88 for the shelf bracket feet.

Sound? Well, I would say it needs a sub at a high cut-off as they are bass light (which doesn't overly bother me), but detail is good and very 'open'.  Only just started listening though so need to put them through their paces.

Name? I'm going with Madcap Dominoes the floorboard effect is not as pronounced (I was low on Mahogany stain so only did one coat) but they do look a little like Domino tiles and the floorboard effect does still come through a little as inspired by the Syd Barrett's 'Madcap Laughs' album cover, add to that one of my favourite Barrett songs and there you go.