Author Topic: OK Now I have the need to build  (Read 320 times)

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slut˛
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
OK Now I have the need to build
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
After the crazy frog Laika build, I’m looking at a quick and dirty open baffle with the 6” Philips drivers.  I’m thinking try a bit of stuff cardboard box first, then maybe some old shelves from a ripped out lab.  Any suggestions on size? i’d Like to turn them into something that will not be too wide and have a good idea for finishing.  I’ll be incorporating Golden ratios.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slut˛
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: OK Now I have the need to build
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
Just thought, what about toilet lids (boogie boards, not sure what the name is over here).  They’d look funky!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »
Second hand surfboards must be a dime a dozen there - obvs you could play the Beach Boys

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slut˛
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
Too big though, otherwise I’d try it.  Decent looking boards are quite pricey even second hand

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »
The board needs to be large enough not to allow cancellation.  A way to reduce width and or height is with a curved panel.

If you mount the driver rigidly with a stand of sorts the panel could be a light weight “collar”. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Just thought, what about toilet lids (boogie boards, not sure what the name is over here).  They’d look funky!

I've heard surfers disparagingly call them "shark biscuits"  ;D

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
I've heard surfers disparagingly call them "shark biscuits"  ;D

As opposed to 'shark finger biscuits'?

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slut˛
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
OK, decided I'd go simple and functional with a pretty classic OB look.

A few web searches gave very little information for size of baffles.  I had done this before and generally the advice was the bigger the better, try to include the golden ratio (for aesthetic purposes if nothing else), and either fold the sides or have a single panel.  I drew up some possible designs and then checked up exactly what would be easily obtainable from Builders or the like which I can then cut and do everything with at home (this will be a weekend or two build).

So, final version is one pine laminate shelf cut into two pieces (comes close to the Golden Ratio) with the 6" full range drivers positioned according to the Golden ratio.  I still have some gel stains left from doing my hifi stand (one mahogany, one cherry) and as the pine laminate is effectively pine boards glued together, I'll do a striped stain effect with some masking tape.  Feet will be shelf brackets on one side and I'll mount binding posts onto some off cuts from the bin and position them at the bottom.

I have an idea for a name, but don't want to commit to it until they start taking shape.  The mahogany and cherry colours do look a little purple and orange though so any English psychedelia fans out there may recognise the stripes being based upon some famous floorboards.  Sadly, no Eskimos available to pose with them (another clue).

Here's the plans though:

front view envisaged with dimensions (mm)

Side view:

Anyway, got to tootle on now. Got to help Gerald find somewhere to stay (huge obvious clue)

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:31:24 PM »
A laughable, madcap idea in some respects.

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slut˛
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:07:59 PM »
Most definitely, I see dominoes and gigolo aunts playing a part. Hopefully no Arnold Laynes in my block!