Focal Elear

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itscraig

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
A quick personal review.

In SA making a call to buy a fairly costly set of headphones is quite hard.
I bought a pair of focal elear's and not even a week later they drop prices by about 100$
part of the gamble i guess.

So how do they sound.
Anyone who wants a set of cans for classical or instrumental, needs this set of cans in their collection. Very realistic sounding. Neutral yes but not dull.
I am however still a LCD fan, just for the pure enjoyment of the music.
Not that the focal elears don't bring enjoyment from the music, there is just something that appeals to my ears with the Audeze's
the base is not as lean as i though it might be, and it is certainly tight and fast. I do not feel like the bass is lacking and you are always aware of the speed.
I do not find them at all bright, the highs are about right.
Sound stage and placement is very good. you can easily place instruments and identify what they are. Both the depth and width are impressive.

The build quality is excellent, I cannot fault them for the looks at all. I think they are very nicely styled.
Comfort took me a bit to get used to, I think for me the LCD's are still more comfortable. I do not think the elears are uncomfortable, just that i am used to the LCD's.

I have tried them with the LYR and the WA6-SE, they are brilliant on both, my main amp being the WA6-SE at the moment coupled to the soekris DAC.
It seems that this combo is loving everything i plug into it. Nothing goes past the 11oClock on the happy dial. The WA is just as happy at lower levels giving incredible levels of excitement to the cans.
I will have to wait till Christmas to compare these against the LCD-3's, as it stands I would probably have to say that the Elear's are more detailed than the LCD-2's. but as mentioned i still personally prefer the LCD's

There is a set of Elear's for sale at the moment and I suggest that anyone who is after a high end set of can's that are reasonably priced grab them.
Especially if you love detail and rhythm. Insane levels of detail and still manage to keep musicality.
A very enjoyable set of can's. I am glad that i had not heard all the hype around these before i purchased. I bought them expecting a good solid performer and that is what i got.

Got to be honest, I am loving them the more I listen.
They do show up bad recordings. I find I want very good Hi-Res files as they excel with that