Author Topic: Focal Elear  (Read 1042 times)

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
Focal Elear
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:05:44 PM »
A quick personal review.

In SA making a call to buy a fairly costly set of headphones is quite hard.
I bought a pair of focal elear's and not even a week later they drop prices by about 100$
part of the gamble i guess.

So how do they sound.
Anyone who wants a set of cans for classical or instrumental, needs this set of cans in their collection. Very realistic sounding. Neutral yes but not dull.
I am however still a LCD fan, just for the pure enjoyment of the music.
Not that the focal elears don't bring enjoyment from the music, there is just something that appeals to my ears with the Audeze's
the base is not as lean as i though it might be, and it is certainly tight and fast. I do not feel like the bass is lacking and you are always aware of the speed.
I do not find them at all bright, the highs are about right.
Sound stage and placement is very good. you can easily place instruments and identify what they are. Both the depth and width are impressive.

The build quality is excellent, I cannot fault them for the looks at all. I think they are very nicely styled.
Comfort took me a bit to get used to, I think for me the LCD's are still more comfortable. I do not think the elears are uncomfortable, just that i am used to the LCD's.

I have tried them with the LYR and the WA6-SE, they are brilliant on both, my main amp being the WA6-SE at the moment coupled to the soekris DAC.
It seems that this combo is loving everything i plug into it. Nothing goes past the 11oClock on the happy dial. The WA is just as happy at lower levels giving incredible levels of excitement to the cans.
I will have to wait till Christmas to compare these against the LCD-3's, as it stands I would probably have to say that the Elear's are more detailed than the LCD-2's. but as mentioned i still personally prefer the LCD's

There is a set of Elear's for sale at the moment and I suggest that anyone who is after a high end set of can's that are reasonably priced grab them.
Especially if you love detail and rhythm. Insane levels of detail and still manage to keep musicality.
A very enjoyable set of can's. I am glad that i had not heard all the hype around these before i purchased. I bought them expecting a good solid performer and that is what i got.

Got to be honest, I am loving them the more I listen.
They do show up bad recordings. I find I want very good Hi-Res files as they excel with that

Offline itscraig

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Focal Elear
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »
The Focal elear is hands down the winner. LCD-2 may be up for sale soon
I am truly amazed at how fast paced this set of cans is.
for now they are a definite keeper in my collection.

Bloody collection was supposed to be at 1 max 2 this year

Hi my name is Craig and i am an addict.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:10:21 AM »
Now you can skip lcd3 and listen to 4.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:28:35 AM »
I think you we have a problem  :giggle:

Never heard the Elear but the shear speed of the Utopia is staggering.

Why sell the LCDs? It isn't called a collection for nothing. I for one will not be caught without at least one pair of LCD's. Was traumatic enough to sell off pair number 2.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline itscraig

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »
Not going without LCD's I have a pair of 3's that are on their way,
I cannot see myself using both the 3's and the 2's. the winner will stay.
plus the fact that i again have 10 pairs of cans, I started this year saying I would only keep 2.

@MrRotten, probably should have gone for the 4's but then would have only had that and not all the other set i have enjoyed.

I have lent a few sets out and will try and do some kind of comparison listening when they are all back.

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:59 AM »
Could not agree more. The Elear is a very special headphone, and amongst - if not the most - dynamic can I have heard. Scales well. Understand the view around comfort - I think this is a factor of the velour pads and the tighter grip the Elear has on the head. Acoustic guitar and piano are almost unrivalled on the Elear.

I hope you kept those mono plugs from the cable as they were built specifically for the Elear!  :groovy:

By the way, in regard to volume, this post from the designer at Harbeth may be of interest.

It busted a myth I long held (did a lot more reading and research and found many articles and discussions mirroring the above thoughts). So if you can tweak the gain and have the sound at the 12-3 mark, it should actually be better.

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
plus the fact that i again have 10 pairs of cans, I started this year saying I would only keep 2.

@MrRotten, probably should have gone for the 4's but then would have only had that and not all the other set i have enjoyed.

I have lent a few sets out and will try and do some kind of comparison listening when they are all back.

I call dibs on the LCD2's IF it should happen...  :drool:

You may have your HE400S back in exchange for them.... :mates:

NFB11.32 - Little Dot MKll - Benchmark DAC1 USB
LCD2F - HD600 - DT990Pro 250 - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Offline itscraig

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
I call dibs on the LCD2's IF it should happen...  :drool:

You may have your HE400S back in exchange for them.... :mates:

:BWAHAHAH:

Offline canman1971

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
I may consider selling my fully upgraded LCD3 with CF headband and all accessories with transfer of warranty - doesn’t make sense to have LCD3 and LCD4 in the stable - someone does have first dibs.
MacPro SSHD, Acoustic Research AR M2 DAP, HiFiman HE1000V2, Sennheiser HD800 - Audio Minor Pure Silver Cable, Sennheiser IE800 IEMs

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »

You have LCD Rev 2 (pre-fazor)? Both have lambskin ear cups?

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
I may consider selling my fully upgraded LCD3 with CF headband and all accessories with transfer of warranty - doesn’t make sense to have LCD3 and LCD4 in the stable - someone does have first dibs.

Curious you chose lambskin cups for both?

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
Now you can skip lcd3 and listen to 4.

LCD-X > LCD-3

I'm really keen to hear the LCD-MX4

Offline canman1971

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
Lambskin leather pads for both - from experience the vegan pads roll off the highs slightly.
MacPro SSHD, Acoustic Research AR M2 DAP, HiFiman HE1000V2, Sennheiser HD800 - Audio Minor Pure Silver Cable, Sennheiser IE800 IEMs

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
Lambskin leather pads for both - from experience the vegan pads roll off the highs slightly.

My LCD 2 Rev 2 with vegan pads can't be described as soft. May be forced to cut and change some time in the future.

Offline itscraig

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »
You have LCD Rev 2 (pre-fazor)? Both have lambskin ear cups?

mine are fazor, i prefer the fazor for my ears.