Author Topic: Ridiculous kitchen devices that you have or want  (Read 1816 times)

Online JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Ridiculous kitchen devices that you have or want
« on: December 05, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
So with stoopid season in full effect.  I'm looking at getting one of these as a Xmas gift for someone as a bit of a laugh.  Mainly because I want to try creating well, you'll see.

Here's what it says it does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XILbEZlS0U

Here's what it actually does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRGZMg4GWtg

Another useless gadget has to be this one, but again, there is something pleasingly idiotic about it that makes me want to try it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Ae7dmKxXc

Any suggestions/gadgets that you swear by?

The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Larry

Re: Ridiculous kitchen devices that you have or want
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
Actually know someone with one of those Rollie things.

They actually love it.

I'm a bit of a purist about having my eggs poached, so doesn't work for me...  :tongue:

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
I despise kitchen gadgets. I've yet to find a single one that remains in consistent use by anyone with a modicum of an ability to cook.

IMHO kitchen "gadgets" are a great quality set of knives, a kenwood chef or similar, a pressure cooker & a slow cooker.

"Other family members" have purchased or gifted:

Egg poacher, microwave chicken cooker holder thingie, egg boiler, egg timer thingie that you put in the pot when boiling eggs (because aforementioned egg boiler is too much of a mission to use), yoghurt maker, Shogun knives, Shogun AnyCan, other Verimark rubbish including vegetable steamer, Stufz, Bauer pans, Shogun peelers & a Twista, herb scissors (those with 4 or 5 blades). Foreman grill, electric veggie spiral cutter, electric carving knife, freestanding electric griddle, Cappucino/Coffee/Espresso machines

The majority of which are used once, maybe twice, and then get stashed at the back of a cupboard or bottom of a drawer, eventually being given to Animals in Distress or Hospice for their charity shops.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline zer0

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »
I bought one of these a while ago after seeing it on special at Loot. I first checked out the reviews and because of them I took the plunge.
Money well spent. It works like a charm and the big clumsy pot will mostly be gathering dust in the cupboard.

https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-rw/m-cuisine-pasta-cooker

Amazon reviews
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-M-Cuisine-Microwave-Pasta-Cooker/dp/B012W9C6WG

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »
I bought one of these a while ago after seeing it on special at Loot. I first checked out the reviews and because of them I took the plunge.
Money well spent. It works like a charm and the big clumsy pot will mostly be gathering dust in the cupboard.

https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-rw/m-cuisine-pasta-cooker

Amazon reviews
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-M-Cuisine-Microwave-Pasta-Cooker/dp/B012W9C6WG

Intriguing. But I don't get the point? It's no quicker than in a pot.

Also - people who pour pasta cooking water down the drain should be lined up at dawn & shot! Together with those who add oil to the water when cooking pasta!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »
My expensive burr coffee grinder came to a "grinding" halt due to small pieces of steel (looked like bits of a saw) in the coffee.  No sooner had it been repaired, when grinding some new (and expensive) coffee I bought at Quaffee at Buitenverwaghting, it slowed down and stopped

Checking the beans showed that about 1/3 had not been roasted and were soft, so jammed up the machine.  The unroasted ones were pale and looked like peanuts.

The first lot of coffee came from Woolworths Constantia.  They were at pains to tell me they had never experienced this before.  The guys who repaired the grinder say they see 3 or 4 a month, usually bits of wire and twigs, sometimes string
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
Also - people who pour pasta cooking water down the drain should be lined up at dawn & shot! Together with those who add oil to the water when cooking pasta!
Iím intrigued, why?
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline zer0

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
Intriguing. But I don't get the point? It's no quicker than in a pot.
It is by a margin. One boiling kettle is enough to fill this whereas a pot has to either boil water on the plate from cold or it takes a few kettles before it's full enough.

Online JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:40 PM »
Iím intrigued, why?

The starch in the water is useful for helping the sauce stick to the pasta.  You only need to add a small amount though
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Online LouisF

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »
other Verimark rubbish including ..., Cappucino/Coffee/Espresso machines

Espresso machines???
You have no idea what you are talking about. If someone gives you an espresso machine, you should feel honoured, as a prper such machine costs anything from about R15k upwards! Not a gadget, my friend.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:25:29 AM »
Iím intrigued, why?

Oil - coats the pasta & prevents whatever sauce you make from properly adhering to the pasta.

Water:
Use some of it to make pesto sauce
If unsalted you can use it to water pot plants - starch water is full of nutrients.
If salted add some to your composter/compost heap - adds nutrients. Not too much though due to the salt.
Salted water can be diluted 3:1 and used on Rosemary, Agapanthus & Hen & Chicken plants.
Use it to make pizza dough & bread.
Use it to boil veggies.
Use it to make soup.
Use it when making stock. (even better if you've already also used it for veggies)

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:10 AM »
Espresso machines???
You have no idea what you are talking about. If someone gives you an espresso machine, you should feel honoured, as a prper such machine costs anything from about R15k upwards! Not a gadget, my friend.

I'm not talking proper machines. I'm talking the cheap Russel Hobbs etc versions.

Online LouisF

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »
I'm not talking proper machines. I'm talking the cheap Russel Hobbs etc versions.
Then you do not what you are talking about, sorry about that. Used to have one of those Russel Hobbs jobs and since replaced it with an Expobar. Chalk and cheese.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline ish

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
i would like a device which lights up areas where bacteria is lurking . Esp on food and worktops in the kitchen.
Like if you sweep it over the anything the surface glows in luminescent blue or bright magenta colour
Ish
Never give up ,never slow down,never grow old, never ever die young (James Taylor)

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
Then you do not what you are talking about, sorry about that. Used to have one of those Russel Hobbs jobs and since replaced it with an Expobar. Chalk and cheese.

I think you're confused. Perhaps read again?

I also see you quote Avo Wolfe who is nothing short of a crackpot nutjob charlatan. Possible explanation then?  :ROFLMAO: