Author Topic: RIP our forum friend Charles “Placebo”  (Read 2659 times)

Online thenoizeguy

Re: RIP our forum friend Charles “Placebo”
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
RIP Charles. Great character who I met a few times.
Condolences to the family.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline MR.C

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »
Never met him but i can sense the sadness from the hearts of others on here that knew him.
May he rest in peace and may all those who remain behind find strength in the fact that they had the pleasure of knowing him.

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 07:25:33 PM »
I did not know Placebo or ever directly communicated with him but always thought him to be one of the pillars of this forum. So  I looked at his earliest posts:

1. His name was Charles

2. He loved analogue.

3. He loved Micro Seiki and was probably still mourning a stolen vintage Yamaha pre/power combo

4. He used to own an Alfa Romeo

5.He loved collie dogs he got from animal shelters

6.He loved his family with frequent mentions in posts.

7. Like all of us his washing machine always broke just before pay day.

8. In a screwed up world where it has become fashionable to forget or pretend not to know anything about a person he thought to ask about my child's progress on the  piano years after I mentioned it in a post.

9.He joined the forum in 2010 at the age of 57. That means he was not even at retirement age!

In my admittedly somewhat naive and strange view on religion some people go to heaven regardless of religion or what they do or do not believe. Placebo went there without even a glance at his credentials.

Online Ricketysmurf

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
Heartbreaking loss for all of us that knew him. The softest, kindest human being under a crusty disguise. A great friend, really one of a kind.
Perfect description Mike.
R.I.P. Charles.
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
Thank you Agaton Sax....I've spent the day trying to think of something to say.
Thanks to members here I spent a day and evening having a wonderful laugh with him up in Jhb.We chatted often and meeting him and many others here was honestly the best weekend ever. (I know Rodney and Dean will agree.)

I will miss his wicked sense of humour and the wonderful occasional calls at strange hours.....he always expressed care and consideration in his words with me and I am truly blessed to have known him....

Your big and caring heart will be sorely missed by myself and many here Charles.
Rest well my friend.

Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
Heartbreaking loss for all of us that knew him. The softest, kindest human being under a crusty disguise. A great friend, really one of a kind.

Spot on. 

I did not know Placebo or ever directly communicated with him but always thought him to be one of the pillars of this forum. So  I looked at his earliest posts:

1. His name was Charles

2. He loved analogue.

3. He loved Micro Seiki and was probably still mourning a stolen vintage Yamaha pre/power combo

4. He used to own an Alfa Romeo

8. In a screwed up world where it has become fashionable to forget or pretend not to know anything about a person he thought to ask about my child's progress on the  piano years after I mentioned it in a post.

9.He joined the forum in 2010 at the age of 57. That means he was not even at retirement age!

In my admittedly somewhat naive and strange view on religion some people go to heaven regardless of religion or what they do or do not believe. Placebo went there without even a glance at his credentials.

Thank you. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline adie

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
RIP Charles- and condolences to those he leaves behind. Thank you G
And thank you Agaton for revealing characteristics of the much loved man behind the avatar.

Offline iiceman

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
RIP...

Offline fx

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
RIP Charles, and condolences to his family and friends...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline juventino

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
Ah that's terrible news.

Exchanged many messages via whatsapp. We were supposed to meet up as he kindly offered to let me have some cassette tapes but timing was never right for both of us. In hindsight should have made time as missed out on meeting a great forum member from posts above.

Condolences to all family and friends.

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline u235

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • I'm sure I can hear the difference now.........
    • Youngblood Consultants
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Damn. The old fart is gone- that was unexpected. He was true to himself. He liked pulling on the grumpy robe, but under it he was a very real man. Thanks Agaton - ive always have difficulty
how we can know anyone,  but if we remember Charles by your list then that is more than most have. I believe he'll have another beer!
Upon the plains bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • valveaudio@absamail.co.za
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 11:11:12 PM »
Yes, Dear Old Charles

You spoke firmly about what you believed. You spread help where you could without ever expecting anything in return. Your love for your collies, I remember Moneypenny, the one with one blue eye... she could just never shut up when I came to your house. So protective and jealous of "her" Charles. I bet she is now devastated, just like your dear family. Ditto with your friends here on the forum.

I never shared a beer with you, but we're on our way too maybe soon enough. Keep 'em cold for us  :thumbs:

Offline Jes

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
RIP Charles. May you rest in peace
Who wants to be normal, when its much more fun to be a crazy person everybody remembers……..

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
Very sad news.. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. Placebo has been around on this forum for as long as I can remember and I'm sure he will be missed by many here. May he rest in peace

Offline Mervin

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »
Condolences.
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia