Author Topic: Advanced / Defensive Driving Course  (Read 716 times)

Offline vdL

Advanced / Defensive Driving Course
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »
So I bought a Lexus IS 350 and I would like to do an Advanced / Defensive Driving Course with it.
Lexus does not have their own so I am looking for a place where I can use my car. Do you have any recommendations in Western Cape?

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
Re: Advanced / Defensive Driving Course
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
Ask your insurance which ones they accept, you should get a reduction in premium.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
I attended one at Killarney a few years ago. http://www.ktcentre.co.za/about-us
It is "course 2" on the list. Strangely they indicate it is not available at the moment.
It includes classroom style training, skid pan and practical town driving instructions and assessment. I still apply most of what I have learned there.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:46:50 PM by Drifter »

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
As soon as my daughter got her driving licence  I enrolled her at that 4 day school at Killarney .. I did the skidpan with her...was around 4 yrs ago..there was no track stuff tho
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline ArtiB

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
They arenít doing skid pan at the moment because of water restrictions - just done defensive part of that course at work.

Arthur

Offline vdL

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Guess I will do the Defensive stuff and pray for rain!  :sd: :sd:  :pray: :pray: :sd: :sd:

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
I found that these are nothing more than a day of fun on the track. I wanted a similar driving course, but it doesn't really teach one how to handle a car in an emergency. Strangly those type of courses don't exisit. One has to pay a proper trainer to do it and yes they recommend you do it in your own car, and it's cheaper. I spoke to an advanced driver (racer ) from Jaguar who was willing to give a course.
BMW in Centurion for example has someone working for them that was a race driver.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it, even if you disengage the ESP on the Lexus it still has it engaged in some form, so in this case I doubt the car is ever going to allow you do anything you might not be able to handle! Congrats on the purchase btw, very nice car!

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 04:01:45 AM »
Many years ago I completed the IAM course, which was a mix of track & road.

Certainly made a huge difference to my driving & observational skills which I still use now, over 20 years later!

Contact Dave Johnston - http://www.advanceddriver.co.za as he still runs very similar defensive driving courses.

For track/skid pan & some road get hold of Salve at Toyota advanced driving (seeing as you have a lexus, why not :) )
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline vdL

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Thanks, Trompie! I will give them a call.

@kamikazi, so far I love the car. Pretty heavy on fuel though  :giggle:

Offline Neil

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »
i did the vw one here in jhb - i would rather do the high speed one - its maybe a good thing to actually do all of them - you can learn a lesson from all courses and use it in your daily experience on the road...
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, b&w302, AE Compact 1, yamaha satellites.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY Centre, Boston 23csii Fronts, yamaha satellites.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 11:28:44 PM »
Thanks, Trompie! I will give them a call.

@kamikazi, so far I love the car. Pretty heavy on fuel though  :giggle:

I also drive a reasonably thirsty V6, one eventually learns how to be light on the throttle and it's always nice to know that the power is there when you really need it.

Offline EugeneH

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:44:11 PM »
speak with MasterDrive www.masterdrive.co.za 
Tel 0861100618