Author Topic: REVIEW: Audio God NFB11.28  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
Re: REVIEW: Audio God NFB11.28
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 11:04:51 PM »
Sorry for not doing this earlier but I must give special thanks to @Jbredene for approaching me with the chance to buy this epic piece of equipment.

I don't what he was thinking letting it go  :nutter:... but I strongly suspect he's hiding a Benchmark DAC and a Sennheiser Orpheus from us all. ;)

Thanks a lot for putting up with my financial woes. :notworthy:

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Duan

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
Can I maybe ask what did it cost to get the NFB11.28 here in SA? I am also maybe thinking of getting the nfb11.28 or the R2R 11 to use as a dedicated dac.
Would be nice to know how it compares to similarly priced DAC's here in SA

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51:46 AM »
Without a picture or two this entire thread is worthless hearsay :whistler:
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Can I maybe ask what did it cost to get the NFB11.28 here in SA? I am also maybe thinking of getting the nfb11.28 or the R2R 11 to use as a dedicated dac.
Would be nice to know how it compares to similarly priced DAC's here in SA

About R6.5 to R7.5k with import duties and shipping depending on the exchange rate (rand has been volatile lately).

Regarding the buying process - I found it fairly painless actually: - sent email, received invoice with Paypal payment details.. made payment.
The speed of communication was exemplary and I received Kingwa's emails within very short time in response to mine.

Offline Duan

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
About R6.5 to R7.5k with import duties and shipping depending on the exchange rate (rand has been volatile lately).

Regarding the buying process - I found it fairly painless actually: - sent email, received invoice with Paypal payment details.. made payment.
The speed of communication was exemplary and I received Kingwa's emails within very short time in response to mine.
Thanks for the reply though.
Is there also a specific reason why you went with the sabre dac and not the r2r dac (R2R 11)? Apparently r2r has a more natural representation as opposed to sabre (this is just what I read from reviews as I never heard an r2r before) because I also have the nuprime udsd but looking for a upgrade.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
Is there also a specific reason why you went with the sabre dac and not the r2r dac (R2R 11)? Apparently r2r has a more natural representation as opposed to sabre (this is just what I read from reviews as I never heard an r2r before) because I also have the nuprime udsd but looking for a upgrade.

The AG R2R range only came out fairly recently so a lot of people didnt really have the option before.

The signature from what I can surmise, is warm and "tube-like" whilst the Sabre is more about accuracy.

Go for the one that aligns with what you are after.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »
I for one am extremely curious to hear a ladder DAC and the R2R-11 in particular.
Time to petition the powers that be (I know who you are...) for a loaner methinks.

My choice would be the NFB11.28 which is accurate and powerful and offers various filter options to play with.

If one wants a "tubey" experience, get a tube amp and use the excellent DAC as source!  ;D

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 12:25:46 PM »

Pretty much as others have indicated - I wanted a neutral sound as I already have a tube preamp (which is also very neutral actually - but soo smooth..).

Additionally, the NFB11.28 was by all accounts an improvement over earlier Sabre dacs (which I like and am familiar with), being a very good implementation of the newer Sabre 9028 dac chip. Filter settings make a noticeable difference which means one can "tune" the sound to suit your system and preference.

I am curious about the R2R11 - might try it in the near future..

Offline Duan

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »
Hmm, would also be interesting as to how schiit modi multibit for example would compare against R2R 11... I think maybe that is my two options. The headphone amp on the r2r is a nice bonus for me but I am actually looking for a dedicated dac, but if the Audio gd performs better then it will be my choice.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
Two very different units, and I cannot comment on how either of them sound from personal experience.
Hopefully that will change sometime since they are both high profile gears. Be interesting to find out first hand.

The Mimby is a serious audio bargain at $249 and is by all accounts the most DAC you can buy for the money.
The R2R11 for barely $100 more is an even bigger bargain and brings a seriously good headamp to the party.

Personally I would get the AGD since it just such a compelling value proposition.
If funds permit get the Mimby as well just for giggles - either unit is an easy seller should you decide to.

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50