Valve Newbie QuestionS

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidri

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi there

My one channel is suddenly playing a lot softer than the other one - there's also some hiss, and occasional crackling sounds. The amp is a Xindak MT-1 and it's about two weeks old. There is no facility for bias adjustment, so I assume it's an auto-biasing design.

1. Can static electricity be the cause of this? I cleaned in and around the valves with a feather duster earlier (to remove some dust). Maybe that created the static electricity, which did some kind of damage when I switched it on.
    OR
2. Maybe I turned up the volume too quickly? Apparently you're supposed to wait a minute or so after you've switched it on before you turn up the volume.

If somehow some of the valves were damaged (I don't think anything blew because it still plays music, just softer, and the protection circuitry light never came on) then would I have to replace the whole set?

If it doesn't correct itself in a day or two I'm going to take it back to the distributor; in the meantime I was just hoping that someone who knows more than I do might be able to answer my questions.

Thanks

Nidri