Author Topic: Help with mounting a cartridge in a headshell  (Read 1880 times)

Offline adrian111

Re: Help with mounting a cartridge in a headshell
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 09:04:06 PM »
All said and done....that headshell ,cart combo does'nt look right to me to begin with  :thinking:

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 10:25:58 PM »
Seek and ye shall find. Plenty of info on the internet re the the OP's experience. Your local library is also a great source of knowledge.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline irengineer

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »
Tried getting some pics of the cartridge and issue.

Pics of the table in question, cartridge stylus and the tail dragging Dynavector headshell.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise.  I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.” 

John Peel ( the longest serving of the original BBC Radio1 DJs)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

This is the only pic that shows the skew, but all I see is that cantilever is slightly skewed to one side - horizontal plane, not vertical. So, if the diamond itself (the Stylus) is pointed vertically (no skew in vertical plane), why would you want to adjust the azimuth on the headshell?
It also appears that you skewed the cartridge in the headshell just enough to offset the cantilever skew, which is fine.

Groove skipping:
Assuming that stylus is vertical, is it possible that the bottom of the headshell is touching the LP surface at that one spot on the LP, which would cause the skip? Improvise a spacer just to test for skipping. It doesn't look like it needs much, 1mm might be enough.

Edit: agh, just remembered - your existing screws will be too short to insert a spacer. I have the long screws but that's of no help to you right now. Any bolt&nut type of shop close to you? I doubt you will find Aluminium screws anywhere but you can use brass screws (hardware shops) or even low magnetism stainless steel - just to test.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:29:02 AM by fdlsys »
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline irengineer

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 10:42:35 AM »
Just to confirm. I have not spun a single record with this cartridge/headshell combo. The cartridge was mounted in a Grace headshell, correct for the tonearm and it works fine, apart from the odd skip. It skips on my vinyl faire copy of Dire Straits Alchemy, track one, for example. The ZYX plays 100% on that.

I thought a bit of azimuth might counter the shew cantilever. With the Dynavector it is not a simple case of the headshell touching the record surface, it hangs completely lower than the cartridge, so no ways can I use this headshell without spacers for the cartridge and longer screws to hold it all together. I wanted to use this combo as a test to see if a bit of adjustment makes it track cleanly on the Dire Straits album.

A mate of mine can 3D print 2,3 and 4 mm spacers to try. Have a great fastener supplier locally for brass or aluminium screws and nuts.

Fdlsys, these Dynavector headshells are the ones I bought from you  :BWAHAHAH:
“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise.  I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.” 

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »
Fdlsys, these Dynavector headshells are the ones I bought from you 
:facepalm:
There is no standard for cartridge height (distance between tip of the stylus to the top of the cartridge). Usual practice is 16-17mm, with 17mm being mentioned in some articles as adopted "de facto" standard. However, you will find many cartridges, especially the short cantilever ones, that are closer to 15mm. Denon 103R is 16mm IIRC.
Here's are a few curiosities for you
- Stanton 881 with it's mandatory rubber mount is exactly 20mm. Stanton 500 with rubber mount - 16mm.
- Audio Technica - a few that I measured just now - between 16 and 19mm
- Shure - stubbornly at exactly 17mm, from old M75 to current M97xE with V15 and M97HE in between - all of them the same.

So, stop sweating the small stuff, put a spacer in, get the long screws, off you go.

So, the azimuth chatter was a red herring. Again, if the stylus is in the vertical plane, there is no need for azimuth correction.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline vleisman

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
Recommend VTF for the Denon DL103-R is 2.3 - 2.7 gram. It is currently set at 2.3. I have tried it lower (2.0) and higher (2.5) with no difference. In terms of my tooling for setup I use a 5.00 gram calibrated electronic stylus scale and an Acoustical Systems Smartractor protractor. Have a range of bubble levels to check azimuth and other tonearm and turntable levels.

I'd suggest you try more weight, can't find any info on that Grace arm but the Denon needs a heavy arm and lots of down-force. The cantilever doesn't look too bad to me, but that's not saying much, can't see much in the pics.
My guess is combination of the skew cantilever, not enough weight in the arm, light headshell and light VTA causing the skipping. Add weight to the arm (e.g. lead tape if you have) and try 2.7 or more down-force.

Offline irengineer

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
Thank you everyone. Loads of things to get and try. I'll report back.

Offline adrian111

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 07:37:21 PM »
Hi Mike. Does the 4th pic in the series of pics not show that the azimuth also requires ajustment? The brass part that holds the cantilever?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
Cannot be sure, it's taken from an angle. Wide-angle phone camera lens guarantees some distortion / perspective shift so without a dead-centre head-on photo... who knows?

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »
If it does need that as well, it’s reasonably easy to fashion a wedge shaped spacer with some sanding.  I would rather send the cart back if that were the case though
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline adrian111

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
If it does need that as well, it’s reasonably easy to fashion a wedge shaped spacer with some sanding.  I would rather send the cart back if that were the case though

My feeling too. Ideally  one wants the cart to be flush with the headshell  I think.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
If it does need that as well, it’s reasonably easy to fashion a wedge shaped spacer with some sanding. 
Not easy tightening the cartridge bolts equally and securely with wedge shape between the cart and the headshell.
Much easier and safer to fashion a flat spacer and adjust azimuth on the headsehll.

I would rather send the cart back if that were the case though
Most definitely, but probably not an option.

Offline skollie

• AVForums Grandmaster
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 11:52:05 PM »
Who and why has my post been removed where I advised the OP to establish using magnification if available and a bamboo toothpick and gently (using the toothpick) to establish if the stylus is not perhaps loose in the cantilever?

I'm getting rather fedup with this arbitrary and ever increasing removals of my posts. What is G_d's name was wrong with this advice??

As moderators you should be fair and evenhanded towards ALL members. If whoever is responsible for this, please let us all have a public explanation.

Or is almost everything I write here now 'contaminated'? You may feel superior and allmighty to move posts deserving or not as 'Moved to de-contamination'  but I've had so many in the last few years by moderators allways unknown that it has become near intolerable. 

skollie

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:14:25 AM by skollie »

Offline skollie

• AVForums Grandmaster
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2017, 12:47:49 AM »
Please disregard. Posted in an incorrect thread.

skollie