Author Topic: LG V30 DAC  (Read 638 times)

Offline batman diver

LG V30 DAC
« on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »
With my previous phone being permanently borrowed i needed a new one so being an LG fan I thought the v30 would be nice, especially with mqa support and the quad DAC, my earphones were stolen too though so iv only been able to test it out with the supplied.... LG ones that are not great

There is a noticeable difference with the dac on and off when listening to tidal , I just hope they add support for masters now, when I get some new cans I can test it properly.

What I would like to bring up is the quality over my Cambridge DAC , it kills the v30 does this seem correct ?

Streaming tidal through coax into my DAC to my amp sounds great

Phone through aux to amp nowhere near as clear with DAC of LG, is there a major difference between an headphone DAC and say dedicated DAC ?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: LG V30 DAC
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
The DAC in the phone is chosen for a) small size and b) tiny current consumption.  It will be compromised compared to the circuitry in a Cambridge DAC
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:19 AM »
You need to use the USB-C output of the V30 and NOT the headphone jack to connect the phone to a DAC.
This works a lot better, but you need to be able to output audio to the output by way of changing phone output in Developer options.
Audio out through the 3.5mm jack is terrible in my experience.

Unfortunately this bypasses the Quad DAC functionality of the phone, so it's a pointless exercise IMHO.
What you get is pristine output of the crappy Snapdragon DAC only.

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:11:12 AM »
You need to use the USB-C output of the V30 and NOT the headphone jack to connect the phone to a DAC.
This works a lot better, but you need to be able to output audio to the output by way of changing phone output in Developer options.
Audio out through the 3.5mm jack is terrible in my experience.

Unfortunately this bypasses the Quad DAC functionality of the phone, so it's a pointless exercise IMHO.
What you get is pristine output of the crappy Snapdragon DAC only.
Maybe the V40 (likely what'll be available when my next upgrade is due) will have RCA outs :P
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline ron g

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
With my previous phone being permanently borrowed i needed a new one so being an LG fan I thought the v30 would be nice, especially with mqa support and the quad DAC, my earphones were stolen too though so iv only been able to test it out with the supplied.... LG ones that are not great

What I would like to bring up is the quality over my Cambridge DAC , it kills the v30 does this seem correct ?

i have also gone for the lgv30+ (v30 with 128gb on board)
i have found a couple of things:

- it is quite sensitive to playback software. i currently use poweramp as it give more setup options, & also has an adjustable "pre-amp" controller which allows for some extra power over the std. software. poweramp also lets you control cross talk, & the phone does sound better with a little bit dialed in.
 - the std. iems, like most std. iems, are only really good for bundling with the phone when you re-sell it somewhere down the line. i believe some of the deals come with b&o iems, but i never got one of those.
 - i have tried it on a couple of iems - sony mdr ex90bx, sennheiser momentum 2 iems, hifiman re400s & a cheap set of jbls. the sennheisers work about the best - smooth & forgiving - very unfatiguing. the sonys & hifi(men)(mans)??? are just too detailed & revealing & show the shortcomings.
 - the phone works really well as a source for my car (mini jack cable), but not great with headphone amp & goods 'phones. sounds really horrible plugged into the main system.
 - sq is ok. probably a bit better than my unamplified fiio x3, but nowhere near the quality of the astell & kern jnr.

i am very happy with all the other features of the phone though, & do not regret getting it. i shake quite a bit (have ever since i was a kid) & i think the v30 image stabilisation is possibly the best of any camera i have used. the ui also is quite nicely stripped down & doesn't have all the irritations (features to some) that the samsung had.

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter