Author Topic: What is the best (and safest) way of connecting my PC to my DAC?  (Read 504 times)

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
What is the best (and safest) way of connecting my PC to my DAC?
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »
Tenflare's post below recounting how a faulty USB port can damage equipment got me a little concerned, which got me thinking... :thinking:

At the moment my DAC is connected to my PC simply by an AQ Pearl USB cable (great cost-effective cable btw).

I have tried to isolate a port on a hub that is not being used by any other peripheral, not sure if I've managed that but I've never had any connection issues.
Even the notoriously sensitive Audio-gd Windows drivers have worked perfectly since installation (touch wood it stays that way).

I have used a Jitterbug for a while and could not hear any perceivable difference or change to the sound. I thus removed it, my thinking being that the fewer devices between Source and DAC the better, certainly if they don't deliver any improvement.

Now I am thinking that maybe if nothing else, the little Jitterbug could act as a "safety device" or buffer between USB port and DAC.
There have been other threads on this topic, but don't think this particular function has been discussed.

I am not in favour of spending a fortune on the following types of solutions, which seem like total overkill to me:

https://ifi-audio.com/power-2/

Opinions and alternatives awaited!

NFB11.32 - Little Dot MKll - Benchmark DAC1 USB
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Momo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: What is the best (and safest) way of connecting my PC to my DAC?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
For interest sake what differences has the AQ Usb cable shown you over the standard usb cables?

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
For interest sake what differences has the AQ Usb cable shown you over the standard usb cables?

By "standard" I assume you mean something like the 20 ZAR cable supplied with most kit?
Let's get it clear that I am not a cable maven by any means. I had no problem with the cheap cable that came with my DAC.
Until I made it a problem, which is what audiophools do...

HOWEVER, after spending ZAR 400 on the AQ Pearl I can safely state that I felt happier about things.
The SQ seemed to just be a tiny bit more "together" and focused, a tad smoother - things flowed better.

There is almost no doubt in my mind that this was CLASSIC EXPECTATION BIAS!

I like the look of the shiny new cable, I know that it is properly designed and very well made. It does what it is designed to do.
It HAS to be better than a cheap generic cable...

Therefore I feel that I've made a worthwhile purchase, even if I can't say categorically that it sounds different or better.

It just gives me the warm and fuzzies, and that is worth every cent of 400 bucks.

Offline Momo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Noted. Subtle differences then I am asking because I want to buy the same cable for my DAC I don't go extreme on cable but would also like a decent quality usb for my DAC.I am also considering the Jitterbug but not too sure about that one.

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
i2s

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
i2s
Module? Card?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
Module? Card?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Dependency might be I2S support on DAC and/or something like an Pink Faun i2s bridge. Balanced i2s even better.
http://www.pinkfaun.com/index.php/products/streaming-audio/pink-faun-i2s-bridge-st-stereo-uitvoering-d-a-converter.html