Author Topic: What is the best (and safest) way of connecting my PC to my DAC?  (Read 601 times)

Online capetownwatches

What is the best (and safest) way of connecting my PC to my DAC?
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »
Tenflare's post below recounting how a faulty USB port can damage equipment got me a little concerned, which got me thinking... :thinking:

At the moment my DAC is connected to my PC simply by an AQ Pearl USB cable (great cost-effective cable btw).

I have tried to isolate a port on a hub that is not being used by any other peripheral, not sure if I've managed that but I've never had any connection issues.
Even the notoriously sensitive Audio-gd Windows drivers have worked perfectly since installation (touch wood it stays that way).

I have used a Jitterbug for a while and could not hear any perceivable difference or change to the sound. I thus removed it, my thinking being that the fewer devices between Source and DAC the better, certainly if they don't deliver any improvement.

Now I am thinking that maybe if nothing else, the little Jitterbug could act as a "safety device" or buffer between USB port and DAC.
There have been other threads on this topic, but don't think this particular function has been discussed.

I am not in favour of spending a fortune on the following types of solutions, which seem like total overkill to me:

https://ifi-audio.com/power-2/

Opinions and alternatives awaited!

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll-SRM252S
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50-SR207

Offline Momo

Re: What is the best (and safest) way of connecting my PC to my DAC?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
For interest sake what differences has the AQ Usb cable shown you over the standard usb cables?

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
For interest sake what differences has the AQ Usb cable shown you over the standard usb cables?

By "standard" I assume you mean something like the 20 ZAR cable supplied with most kit?
Let's get it clear that I am not a cable maven by any means. I had no problem with the cheap cable that came with my DAC.
Until I made it a problem, which is what audiophools do...

HOWEVER, after spending ZAR 400 on the AQ Pearl I can safely state that I felt happier about things.
The SQ seemed to just be a tiny bit more "together" and focused, a tad smoother - things flowed better.

There is almost no doubt in my mind that this was CLASSIC EXPECTATION BIAS!

I like the look of the shiny new cable, I know that it is properly designed and very well made. It does what it is designed to do.
It HAS to be better than a cheap generic cable...

Therefore I feel that I've made a worthwhile purchase, even if I can't say categorically that it sounds different or better.

It just gives me the warm and fuzzies, and that is worth every cent of 400 bucks.

Offline Momo

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Noted. Subtle differences then I am asking because I want to buy the same cable for my DAC I don't go extreme on cable but would also like a decent quality usb for my DAC.I am also considering the Jitterbug but not too sure about that one.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
i2s

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
i2s
Module? Card?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
Module? Card?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Dependency might be I2S support on DAC and/or something like an Pink Faun i2s bridge. Balanced i2s even better.
http://www.pinkfaun.com/index.php/products/streaming-audio/pink-faun-i2s-bridge-st-stereo-uitvoering-d-a-converter.html