Author Topic: Revox Forum B mkii speakers...but  (Read 396 times)

Offline Johnnie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Klerksdorp
Revox Forum B mkii speakers...but
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »
the previous owner or owners before removed the bloody drivers ALL OF THEM!

Crossovers and cabs are still good though so now the old conundrum look for originals or restomod.

These are very well made cabs and I reckon the crossovers are tops as well so I am leaning towards a restomod as it will be the quickest and with carefull selection I reckon the sound will be close as innitially designed even if only theoretically.

The po might still hopefully discover the removed original drivers in a cupboard but I am not holding thumbs for that to be the case..

Anyone have experience owning a pair of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: Revox Forum B mkii speakers...but
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
Johnnie, where on earth do you find these interesting things that you come up with? Local?

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
Wow! Those are beautiful! I am busy with 2 resto-mods myself.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Johnnie

• AVForums Veteran
  • Klerksdorp
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »
I am trying to catch up to you F_D!

Yes these where locally available and as the story goes they where part of the Vaal Reefs mines radio station studio setup. According to a former journalist at the local paper the studio closed down and the equipment was sold on auction and some units where just thrown away :facepalm:

These specific speakers where bought by a chap who wanted to put a pair of Hybrid pro drivers in them. They ended up in another guys hands that I bought a few lp's from and he mentioned he had a set of speakers that need drivers. At first I was like okay that's nice until he mentioned they where Revox units and so the negotiating started. As mentioned there is still a small chance the original drivers are with the PO so we will see.

Shonver what drivers are you going to use?

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »

It's a bit of a mishmash of what I have available. In the Yamaha NS-A925A speaker I'm currently busy with, it is the original tweeter (that may change), a Tang Band mid and a Martin Logan 8" woofer. With the original crossover in place, there was too much treble and I could hear that there was too much midrange coming through the woofer.

The next project after that is a B&W DM6. The original tweeter is missing, and the woofer is unusable (it can still make sound, but it was repaired in the worst way possible). The tweeter will be replaced with a Vifa D27TG-35. I have a Mission 10" driver that I still have to evaluate for suitability as a woofer in this system.

With me throwing in random drivers the way I'm doing, they will need custom crossovers.

Do have a look at the drivers that BrianJ has on offer, currently. There might me something you can use.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
I am trying to catch up to you F_D!

Yes these where locally available and as the story goes they where part of the Vaal Reefs mines radio station studio setup. According to a former journalist at the local paper the studio closed down and the equipment was sold on auction and some units where just thrown away :facepalm:

These specific speakers where bought by a chap who wanted to put a pair of Hybrid pro drivers in them. They ended up in another guys hands that I bought a few lp's from and he mentioned he had a set of speakers that need drivers. At first I was like okay that's nice until he mentioned they where Revox units and so the negotiating started. As mentioned there is still a small chance the original drivers are with the PO so we will see.

I went and viewed the Studio a few years ago and was supposed to make an offer for everything. At the time I was keen on starting an Internet Radio service but then we got busy and the project fell by the wayside. Pity actually - all equipment was still in perfect working order at the time but the studio itself was very small and pokey - about half the size of a basic bathroom.  ;)

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »
Johnny if they 15 hmmm
Let me know when u get bored with them ...

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Johnnie

• AVForums Veteran
  • Klerksdorp
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »
The woofer is 10 and man these cabs are very well made and by some miracle there are no scrathes or dings and the grills only need new material. They are also imposing for standmounts which I really like..

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
Aaah ok .. no 10 drivers in my cupboards anyway

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »
How far do you want to take this? I mean, are you willing to import (if needed) suitable drivers? Because that will simplify the search. As a start, anyway, you should measure the internal volume of the woofer enclosure and - just for completeness - the dimensions of the port. Then we can help you look out for a suitable driver.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline christowp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
Good looking cabinets. Hope the seller finds the original drivers. will obviously be the best route as I am sure everyone knows and agrees. 10" bass drivers not common in commercial stuff where 6, 8 and 12" seemed to be favoured. Only missign a speaker with 10" bass driver in my Yamaha family.

Offline bbe22

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran

Offline Raj Nair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
    • av forums south africa
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
diy spk project