Author Topic: NuPrime UDSD faulty  (Read 2099 times)

Offline capetownwatches

Re: NuPrime UDSD faulty
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
Also, check the USB port that the device usually runs from and see if it is in any way broken.

I've had two USB ports on my laptop wear out this year alone. I've also fried a MIDI controller by running it off a bad port.

I'm going to start a thread on the best way to connect a DAC to a PC (not laptop).
At the moment I run simply USB cable between PC USB port and DAC.
You mention that ports can wear out to the extent that it can cause damage.
The last thing I want is for some kind of damage to my beloved NFB11 because a port has committed hara-kiri.

Kingrex HQ1-Audio-gd NFB11.32-Little Dot Mkll-SRM252S-Benchmark DAC1 USB-RL Concero
LCD2F-HD600-SR207-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S-K171Mkll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 10:54:57 AM »
Leave the Schiit volume at one level, then on the Nuprime, start from zero and work your way up until volume is roughly the same as it did when running off the working RCA.

Headphone outs are far more amplified than RCA outs so you do not want to drive an RCA cable with full volume.

The voltage is more or less the same.  Current capacity higher but it will not draw any of that.  Itís kind of like using a big hammer with a small nail. 

In theory distortion specs will be a little inferior.  If voltage is too high it can overload the head amp inputs and distort (not break) so yes use the nu prime volume to get to where you more or less were before. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline vleisman

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »
Stupid question: Are you sure the problem lies with the DAC and not the receiver? When you use the DAC with the Schiit amp is the L channel dead?

Offline Duan

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 11:55:30 AM »
Stupid question: Are you sure the problem lies with the DAC and not the receiver? When you use the DAC with the Schiit amp is the L channel dead?

Yes i am sure. I tested the receiver with a normal dvd player and both channels works 100% and as soos as I change the rca's from the receiver into the udsd (music still playing) the left channel is dead.
I also tested the udsd with the schiit magni and my headphones, same problem, no left channel.
To me this is honestly a stupid mistery or something and I wished that I hadn't had to move everything from one room to another.
Im getting my udsd back later tonight so hopefully I can use it still as a headphone out.

Another question is here someone that demo'd the Audioquest dragonfly red ? How does it compare with the udsd ? Im thinking of maybe getting me the dragonfly with the rca splitter into the receiver...

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »
Yes i am sure. I tested the receiver with a normal dvd player and both channels works 100% and as soos as I change the rca's from the receiver into the udsd (music still playing) the left channel is dead.
I also tested the udsd with the schiit magni and my headphones, same problem, no left channel.
To me this is honestly a stupid mistery or something and I wished that I hadn't had to move everything from one room to another.
Im getting my udsd back later tonight so hopefully I can use it still as a headphone out.

Another question is here someone that demo'd the Audioquest dragonfly red ? How does it compare with the udsd ? Im thinking of maybe getting me the dragonfly with the rca splitter into the receiver...

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

And now I am confused again. 

You said you also used the udsd with digital co axial in to your receiver (one rca only day n to a digital input of the receiver) and you still had a channel not working, correct?

The above ďtestĒ only tests analogue.  If digital was not tested/is fine it could well be a loose wire on the RCA output socket or same wire on the pcb. 
With the unplugging, especially if powered up at the time, itís possible to have blown an output op amp channel. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Online naughty

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »

In terms of features and file compatibility IMHO the uDSD is miles ahead of most other headamp DACs and the dragonfly red is limited to only up to 24/96 while the uDSD allows you to play up to 24/192 and also DSD

the only portable DAC that i would consider as a replacement for the uDSD is to self import an ifi iDSD micro Black label edition since that has even better features and file compatibility than the uDSD and it uses a type of delta sigma/multibit hybrid chipset so potentially could give a lot better sound quality but only you can decide if the headache of self importing is wothwhile in this instance

if the micro is too expensive for your taste then there is a new iDSD nano "black label" that is $199 instead of almost $600 which is a smaller unit and now incorporates far more features the normal nano and it also includes MQA capability which could be important for Tidal and Deezer users

https://hometheaterreview.com/ifi-introduces-nano-idsd-black-label-dacheadphone-amplifier/

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd-bl/

so i would aim rather for the iDSD nano Black label at a minimum if i was to replace the uDSD .... though i quite like the analog RCA outputs and coax output of the uDSD (which you will also get with the Micro Black Label so possibly worth paying the extra $$$$'s)

still the absolutely easiest way out for the opening poster IMHO is to just keep the rest of the system as is and just get another uDSD but be careful while connecting or disconnecting stuff to it

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 06:31:25 PM »
I think another NuPrime might be the way to go. For the money it really is the only thing with the feature set to behave as both a portable and desktop DAC. Everything else for the price in SA seems compromised.

If you are willing to go the import route, however, a more feature-packed alternative to the Dragonfly is the SMSL Idea which has similar proportions but capability far in excess including DSD512. Suffice it to say, if I didnt own an LGV20 I would definitely get this as my portable dac.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smsl-idea-portable-dac-amp.851110/

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Duan

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »
Update on the udsd situation.

So for some reason the 3.5mm to rca splitter isn't working, its making a load noise through the speakers and you can barely hear music playing...
But I have another splitter which has a male rca input (that is plugged into the right channel of the udsd) and goes into 2 female rca inputs on the other end  in which I plug both rca's that comes from the receiver. It works though but im not sure if theoretically it developes the same sound quality as using the dedicated rca outs on the udsd.
So to sum up the Whole receiver runs of just the Right channel of the udsd..

Has anyone ever tried using 3.5mm into rca plugged into the headphone out of the udsd (meaning not using the dedicated rca ports)? Are you getting a quite loud noise as well?
Maybe its just the cable i am using...

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
Not on a uDSD, but have used a 3,5mm to RCA on a number of other devices and a Cambridge day magic.  Works well, just drop the volume to zero and slowly ramp up with the amp at a reasonable listening level
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Cam

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »
maybe have a look at the yamaha wxad 10. Ive never used a stand alone dac so cannot comment on how sound quality compares but to my ears sounds very good. And is more value for money in terms of source options with airplay tidal deezer dlna and a couple other streaming sites. it doesnt have amplification for headphones, so your in your case maybe keep using the udsd for headphones and u could use the wxad 10 for hifi. Price is around R2000 btw.