Author Topic: NuPrime UDSD faulty  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Duan

NuPrime UDSD faulty
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
Good day

Has anyone had problems with the nuprime udsd dac?

I've had one for about two years now where i used it as a dac with the fixed line output into an old teac receiver powering floor stander speakers and the sound quality was wonderful.
The Left channel on the rca output suddenly stopped working ( I tried different cables and everything to see if it would make a difference but seems like something is maybe faulty inside the device).
What is weird is that the Headphone output on the udsd still works 100%
I tried the coaxial into the receiver aswell and the left channel is still not working.

The udsd is obvisously out of warrenty and the problem is i dont live near Johannesburg or Cape town.
My nearest biggest city is PE.
Does anyone maybe know of a store in PE that will definitely be able to attend to this?
Do you guys think it will even be worth it to try and sent it into a Audio store to repair it? If they can it will probably cost a fortune aswell (I bought mine for R2700 from cplan audio).
Im considering going for something else like the Arcam Irdac maybe that isn't too expensive.

I am using the dac with schiit magni aswell powering philips fidelio x2 headphones.

Any input will greatly be appreciated.

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
Re: NuPrime UDSD faulty
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
There's probably an issue with the internal wiring to the left RCA.

Theoretically (I am by no means versed in electronics), this can easily be checked with a multimeter and then fixed with a quick solder job. In other words, you shouldn't need to take it to an audio expert.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Duan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
Thanks

Will definitely try and solve the problem first.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Coax digital left doesnít work either. If so itís not a wire to the left RCA.  The co ax not sending left in digital code but headphone out being all good has me confused though. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:21 PM »
Coax digital left doesnít work either. If so itís not a wire to the left RCA.  The co ax not sending left in digital code but headphone out being all good has me confused though. 
You're right (missed that part) and it's a hell of a condundrum since RCA is analogue and Coax is digital.

This is a thumbsuck and a half but maybe the DAC isn't being fed enough power? Maybe try a different cable, USB out or powered hub?

Also, I wonder if for the time being, a 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter fed from the headphone out at unity gain could accomplish the same purpose?  :nfi:

Offline Duan

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »
I did use another type D cable on a separate laptop and still the same problem.

What is also weird is yesterday my setup worked 100% and last night i had to move everything to a different room and since then the left channel didn't work.
I literally tried eveything that I could think of and the same problem exists. I just doesn't make sense as to why the Headphone amp on the udsd works 100% but as soon as i use the fixed output the left doesnt work..

Offline JayMac

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:21:36 PM »
You just made an elementary beginner's mistake: when you moved it last night you shouldn't have dropped it into the concrte floor! :sh1tstirrer:

Don't feel bad - it can happen to anyone!

Offline Duan

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:45:38 PM »
 :'(

What would you guys recommend as an alternative to the udsd?
I would like a step up in sound quality under R6000...

From now on im mostly going to listen to a 2 channel speaker setup.
I'm going to miss the udsd, for me it had such a wonderful full bodied sound and my speakers and receiver isn't even that high end.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
I would retest that co ax output. 

It would be really a bizarre scenario for digital output to be missing a channel. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Online itscraig

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
in that price range i would get another uDSD and save
not much better for the price

is there no way to test the input?
as Mr Hi-Phi says does not seem right

Offline Duan

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »
I have someone who is going to look at the problem for me.
He said that the left channel might me blown?
Does that make sense ?
What bothers me a little is for almost the whole two years in which I had the udsd I used it with the magni and my philips headphones and only a few days ago I got the old receiver and speakers for free from a close friend. Do you guys think that it maybe added to much pressure on the udsd or something?
I also changed the rca's quite frequently between the receiver and magni if i wanted to listen between the two alternatives and thats why I initially thought that there might be a loose connection inside the udsd..
But lets say if the left channel is blown doesnt that mean that the headphone output on the udsd would not work aswell?

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »
Albeit temporarily, my UDSD runs like this:

DAC > RCA SPLITTER > DBX GoRack > LSR305's
                                 > RCA SPLITTER > RCA SPLITTER > SAP II
                                                           > RCA SPLITTER > Little Dot MkII

In short, I don't know if it's possible to overload it this way. The only issue I ever encounter is an acute volume drop no doubt caused by having more than one of these devices on at the same time (NEVER required).

If it is indeed a blown channel, I'd highly suggest getting a powered hub and a new USB cable in addition to the repairs. Also, check the USB port that the device usually runs from and see if it is in any way broken.

I've had two USB ports on my laptop wear out this year alone. I've also fried a MIDI controller by running it off a bad port. 

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
NuPrime UDSD faulty
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:36:36 AM »
Albeit temporarily, my UDSD runs like this:

DAC > RCA SPLITTER > DBX GoRack > LSR305's
                                 > RCA SPLITTER > RCA SPLITTER > SAP II
                                                           > RCA SPLITTER > Little Dot MkII

In short, I don't know if it's possible to overload it this way. The only issue I ever encounter is an acute volume drop no doubt caused by having more than one of these devices on at the same time (NEVER required).

If it is indeed a blown channel, I'd highly suggest getting a powered hub and a new USB cable in addition to the repairs. Also, check the USB port that the device usually runs from and see if it is in any way broken.

I've had two USB ports on my laptop wear out this year alone. I've also fried a MIDI controller by running it off a bad port.

Usb will work 2 channels or none.  Not one. 

Output blown? Possible.  Nought to do with the power supplied though.

Offline Duan

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »
I thinks thats my only option, is to use the headphone out with rca splitter. Will that give exactly the same sound quality as the dedicated rca outs if i turn the volume all the way up? Or will the fact that it has a "headphone amplifier" change the sound quality ? Not entirely sure how the circut works with rca out vs using the headphone out with rca splitter...

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
Leave the Schiit volume at one level, then on the Nuprime, start from zero and work your way up until volume is roughly the same as it did when running off the working RCA.

Headphone outs are far more amplified than RCA outs so you do not want to drive an RCA cable with full volume.