Author Topic: So, maybe magnet bracelets do actually work...  (Read 197 times)

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
So, maybe magnet bracelets do actually work...
« on: November 23, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
http://idmmag.com/news/scientists-change-music-taste-magnetic-stimulation/

Scientists can change your music taste with magnetic stimulation

Oneís music taste is usually rather concrete, barring certain experiences that may change it.  These are experiences like breakups, discovering new music, or simply just growing up, and now scientists from McGill University in Canada have added another game changer; magnetic stimulation.

Iím not talking about electro-shock therapy, but rather that a few minutes of magnetic stimulation could increase a personís enjoyment of music.
The technique also swayed how much money people paid for the track.

The best part about this research is that it could lead to a breakthrough in treatment against depression, Parkinsonís disease and addiction; which all has to do with the brainís reward system.

The study orbited 17 volunteers, listening to songs chosen by both them and the researchers, who were then asked to rate how much pleasure they got out of the tracks.

Researchers used a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to either excite or inhibit a part of the brain called the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.

When the region was excited, participant showed greater enthusiasm for said track and were keen to spend more money on buying it.
When the region was inhibited, participantsí enthusiasm for said track diminished, along with their willingness to spend money on purchasing it.
Previous research has shown that applying TMS to this region changes the amount of dopamine released by the brain.
Specifically, this technique influences the release of dopamine in the stratum, which is involved in reward processing.
This is especially important regarding future treatment of illnesses related to the reward system, like apathy.

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: So, maybe magnet bracelets do actually work...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
Time to take a giant electromagnet to Gateway and hijack their PA system.  A bit of Napalm Death could do wonders
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
I'm interested in electro-magnetic stimulation to get my legs working again - probably a useless interest.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
I would expect that a physiotherapist may be able to help with pulsed electrical stimulation of the muscles?
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »
I'm interested in electro-magnetic stimulation to get my legs working again - probably a useless interest.

skollie

Depends where you put the magnets I reckon
Importing made easy!

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »

skollie

Whatever you do, please do not fall for/get bamboozled by the magnetic resonator system that is peddled by charlatans. Locally it is most profuse in name of "the driver resonator".

Stupidly expensive for sweet eff all results or outcome.

My late Mother, in the middle time of her cancer, was convinced by a "friend" and the purveyor of this nonsense to purchase one. It cost a not so small fortune and was a complete and utter load of turd.

I managed to dispose of it back to the original seller/manufacturer/bullsh!tter for some 2)% of it's original purchase price after my Mother's passing.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »
Whatever you do, please do not fall for/get bamboozled by the magnetic resonator system that is peddled by charlatans. Locally it is most profuse in name of "the driver resonator".

Stupidly expensive for sweet eff all results or outcome.

My late Mother, in the middle time of her cancer, was convinced by a "friend" and the purveyor of this nonsense to purchase one. It cost a not so small fortune and was a complete and utter load of turd.

I managed to dispose of it back to the original seller/manufacturer/bullsh!tter for some 2)% of it's original purchase price after my Mother's passing.

No! I won't. I have no time for quackery. I saw a reference to this in a newspaper recently. Some poor guy was thrown from a moving train very recently and broke his back and is now paralysed.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »
I would expect that a physiotherapist may be able to help with pulsed electrical stimulation of the muscles?
Ja, the physiotherapist/s will know, if there is anything available that might help.  ...How is this going to happen? Is it convenient/close enough for you? It seems like you'd need to spend a lot of time on it.  You can only try, see how much regrowth is possible.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »
Sounds like Victorian medicine to me