Author Topic: Mini review of the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm  (Read 342 times)

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Mini review of the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
Capetownwatches and I have been sending some PMs to and fro. He made me aware of a set of these phones at a very decent price (R2000 below retail - demo model) at Cplan Audio. To make a long story short: I concluded the deal on Thursday last and received the phones on Monday after work.

I find them comfortable enough but not to the extent that I can wear them for hours on end. Adjusting the phones while they are on my head is well-nigh impossible though; you have to take them off, adjust and put them back on. At least the earpieces' adjustment remains firmly in place and will not easily go out of adjustment by themselves.

The most important part is how they sound and that is, in a word, superb. Deep, clean but powerful bass. A bass drum sounds like one, with no fuzzy sort of "boominess". String bass, like on a double bass (basviool), is so real and lifelike, like the bass drum, one can almost feel it. In my view the only way you will experience better bass is with these phones on and a 15" woofer strapped to your tummy! Midrange is open and airy with no distortion or colouration I could pick up. Treble likewise clean and clear. In all: awesome sound. Vocals handled very well: lifelike, w/out the unnaturally deep bass one sometimes have with male voices. I am confident that at the price I would not have found better sounding open air phones. More expensive phones might sound appreciably better therefore I should never listen to those. The Marantz has ample power for these phones, to the point where I wonder if they are really 240 ohm, so efficient they seem. The box says nothing, nor is there any indication of the kind on the phones. At loud volumes that peculiar sort of colouration on higher notes is evident, but to much a lesser degree than on the ADLs, so my decision to exchange the ADLs for open air phones is to my taste vindicated - on

If you need sound isolation, buy something else as these are really very open, if you know what I mean. The cord is about 4 m long, straight, not coiled. Very light at 354 g, cord and all. Gold plated screw-on 6 mm adapter, which I rather like.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."

David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Mini review of the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
Well enjoy them Mnr,
although it is a slippery slope.
once the can bug bites you slide fast

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
Well enjoy them Mnr,
although it is a slippery slope.
once the can bug bites you slide fast
What I am scared of, ja.

David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Life's too short to wear a crappy watch!"
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
What I am scared of, ja.

Be afraid...be very afraid.

This little hobby can have serious consequences for your wallet - and your marriage.  :angrywife:
But dammit, it's fun!

Offline AdrianDeLau

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
Facts!
I have a pair and love them.
Paired them with a schitt dac and the aurelia hp amp.

And i might add that they pair very well with a valve hp amp too.
Have a millet hybrid valve amp, sounds very musical but sound stage is lacking compared to the aurelia.

They are bomb proof too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AdrianDeLau

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:10 PM »
Be afraid...be very afraid.

This little hobby can have serious consequences for your wallet - and your marriage.  :angrywife:
But dammit, it's fun!

Yea bought scubadudes lcd2ís.
Luckily i am already divorced

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »
Facts!
I have a pair and love them.
Paired them with a schitt dac and the aurelia hp amp.

And i might add that they pair very well with a valve hp amp too.
Have a millet hybrid valve amp, sounds very musical but sound stage is lacking compared to the aurelia.

They are bomb proof too.

Would that not be "schiit" rather? :EGrin:

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »
DT880 are excellent.  I headsupped about the C plan demo before.  Surprised they were around so long. 

I have several headphones but these are the ones I grab most often.  A fine balance of good sound comfort and stability. 

HD 800 you have to sit still with.  Stax have air but not smack.  HD600 good and quite neutral like quad esl speakers but again not that dynamic. 

The 880 is lovely.  Massdrop planars ordered, maybe they change my mind. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:13:26 PM »
Let me know how you experience them when they arrive.

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »
Listening to U2 with You're the best thing about me with marvelous close miking, one hears his fingers slide up and down the strings and every sound so clear and true to real life. Just great and I love these phones more and more; worth every cent. Thanks Arie.

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Life's too short to wear a crappy watch!"
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:33:41 PM »
Listening to U2 with You're the best thing about me with marvelous close miking, one hears his fingers slide up and down the strings and every sound so clear and true to real life. Just great and I love these phones more and more; worth every cent. Thanks Arie.

I'm delighted that you're enjoying them.  :thumbs:

Offline AdrianDeLau

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Would that not be "schiit" rather? :EGrin:

Schiit!!! you are correct lol

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »
...At loud volumes that peculiar sort of colouration on higher notes is evident, but to much a lesser degree than on the ADLs, so my decision to exchange the ADLs for open air phones is to my taste vindicated ...
I had a discussion with an audiologist today and it appears what I called "colouration" is in fact harmonic distortion due to my noise induced hearing loss (NIHL) that causes interaction between my ears and the phones - the damage being to the section of my hearing for the high frequencies. It is exacerbated by high volume of the higher frequencies and sweet-all to be done about it. Open air phones, because they are open at the back, causes this to a lesser degree than closed designs for the very reason they are open. Does that not make sense to you? Join the club.

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
can you still enjoy the music?
that is all that counts.

for me all equipment is a means to an end, to enjoy the music.
because we have inquisitive minds we will always want to see what is perhaps better
i always find myself going back to my system after hearing something i really enjoyed, usually by the time i get home and listen i am just as happy with my system again.

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »
can you still enjoy the music?

Absolutely and I am so grateful for that. And as you say: that is all that counts.

These phones are almost always on my head when I sit here, exploring other genres of music I am not familiar with, or hunting for old favourites while I am working or otherwise occupied.
Hifi gear would have been pointless w/out music, as far as I am concerned.

As would proper coffee gear be were it not for the pleasure of drinking good coffee.

David Avocado Wolfe