Mini review of the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisF

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Capetownwatches and I have been sending some PMs to and fro. He made me aware of a set of these phones at a very decent price (R2000 below retail - demo model) at Cplan Audio. To make a long story short: I concluded the deal on Thursday last and received the phones on Monday after work.

I find them comfortable enough but not to the extent that I can wear them for hours on end. Adjusting the phones while they are on my head is well-nigh impossible though; you have to take them off, adjust and put them back on. At least the earpieces' adjustment remains firmly in place and will not easily go out of adjustment by themselves.

The most important part is how they sound and that is, in a word, superb. Deep, clean but powerful bass. A bass drum sounds like one, with no fuzzy sort of "boominess". String bass, like on a double bass (basviool), is so real and lifelike, like the bass drum, one can almost feel it. In my view the only way you will experience better bass is with these phones on and a 15" woofer strapped to your tummy! Midrange is open and airy with no distortion or colouration I could pick up. Treble likewise clean and clear. In all: awesome sound. Vocals handled very well: lifelike, w/out the unnaturally deep bass one sometimes have with male voices. I am confident that at the price I would not have found better sounding open air phones. More expensive phones might sound appreciably better therefore I should never listen to those. The Marantz has ample power for these phones, to the point where I wonder if they are really 240 ohm, so efficient they seem. The box says nothing, nor is there any indication of the kind on the phones. At loud volumes that peculiar sort of colouration on higher notes is evident, but to much a lesser degree than on the ADLs, so my decision to exchange the ADLs for open air phones is to my taste vindicated - on

If you need sound isolation, buy something else as these are really very open, if you know what I mean. The cord is about 4 m long, straight, not coiled. Very light at 354 g, cord and all. Gold plated screw-on 6 mm adapter, which I rather like.