Poll

Which features would you most like to see in the AVF-One Headphone Amplifier?

Output Transformer-Less
Output Transformer Coupled
Single Ended Triode
Balanced Output
Class A
Hybrid Design
Pre-Amp or Analogue Passthrough
Ability to drive both low and high impedance headphones
Compact form factor (cost saving)
Full Size form factor
Point to Point Wiring
Backlit VU meters...

Author Topic: POLL: A South African designed and built Headamp!  (Read 2378 times)

Offline LouisF

"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline capetownwatches

Re: POLL: A South African designed and built Headamp!
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:26 PM »

Kingrex HQ1-Audio-gd NFB11.32-Little Dot Mkll-SRM252S-Benchmark DAC1 USB-RL Concero
LCD2F-HD600-SR207-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S-K171Mkll-M4U2-Y50

Offline itscraig

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
The unit will be locally manufactured with the absolute best imported components available “no compromise”. As for the look it will be similar to the Ray Samuels Emmeline B52 (not a reversed engineered copy). We are looking at an international CanJam launch during the course of next year - it will remain boutique - no more than 10 -15 units a year to be manufactured with CE approval and UL registration as out target market is export. The partners / shareholders in the project have our own professions therefore it will be basically a cost + overhead recovery and a 5% profit margin - a fun project to go up against the best of the best without costing $5000 ++++ . We are still in the early stages and therefore cannot share any further information until we have finalized a prototype for production.

so are we looking at a AVForums crowd funding unit?

Offline canman1971

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »
No - we are not looking for AVForums crowd funding for the project.

Offline itscraig

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
will you send me the details when they become available then.

Offline itscraig

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
Ok, back to the topic at hand.

Mr Mars, what are your thoughts input?
let's try and get this thing off the ground.

Offline LouisF

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:14 AM »
The unit will be locally manufactured with the absolute best imported components available “no compromise”. As for the look it will be similar to the Ray Samuels Emmeline B52 (not a reversed engineered copy). We are looking at an international CanJam launch during the course of next year - it will remain boutique - no more than 10 -15 units a year to be manufactured with CE approval and UL registration as out target market is export. The partners / shareholders in the project have our own professions therefore it will be basically a cost + overhead recovery and a 5% profit margin - a fun project to go up against the best of the best without costing $5000 ++++ . We are still in the early stages and therefore cannot share any further information until we have finalized a prototype for production.

This is a very exciting development Adam!  Best of luck with this venture!  :2thumbs:

I hope to be part of the listening panel for Beta testing :groovy: :groovy: :groovy:

Without detracting anything from the spirit of the project, I think you should pitch pricing a little higher, especially given the lifetime warranty which may imply risks later in life.  BOM-cost isn't a major price driver of high-end devices.  You can justify fair a reasonable margin and still come in very far under the big-ticket competition. 

P.S. Will it come with SE adapter for balanced agnostics like me?  :sh1tstirrer:
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2018, 11:51:49 PM »
Any news on this interesting subject?
St Helena Bay
<<< KIT >>>
DIY OB Boombox (TPA3116D2 amps)
PC: Zotac ZBox Nano > HRT Music Streamer HD > HK GLA55
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, Denon Heos 7

Offline canman1971

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
Project mothballed due to rising importation costs of top quality components and local cost to mnf.