Poll

Which features would you most like to see in the AVF-One Headphone Amplifier?

Output Transformer-Less
Output Transformer Coupled
Single Ended Triode
Balanced Output
Class A
Hybrid Design
Pre-Amp or Analogue Passthrough
Ability to drive both low and high impedance headphones
Compact form factor (cost saving)
Full Size form factor
Point to Point Wiring
Backlit VU meters...

Author Topic: POLL: A South African designed and built Headamp!  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
Re: POLL: A South African designed and built Headamp!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 10:01:28 PM »
Here is my early concept. It's taking a bit of time to get the hang of Sketchup again but I'm almost back in the groove. :thumbs:

I do realise that the design seems a bit "Playstation" rather than traditional vintage. This wasn't intentional but I kind of like it. Why not do a more modern take on the medium?

More to come, of course. I'm still working on my integrated headphone stand concept.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline LouisF

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
I for one think it looks rather good.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Chingy

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »
This needs a update :groovy:

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
I've been dabbling with some headphone transformers of late to suit a typical 5k-10k load desired by valves so I'll be watching this with interest. My vote would be Class A P-P 6N1P dual triode with a good transformer and a winding topology that suitably minimizes inter winding capacitance and leakage inductance across different output configurations. Would love to see the input of the likes of Ludo, Ampdog and Karel on this.

Ludo is currently tooring my 300B to be quiet on even 32 Ohm headphones and >110dB sensitive horns. SETs have very low PSRR and thus require extremely quiet supplies for headphone use.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:39:55 AM by Timber_MG »

Offline itscraig

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
this is a diy amp

The amp is a simple two stage single-ended 6v6  with a type 76 front end. Iron is Electra-Print . Power supply is solid-state feeding dual tube series regulators. All capacitors are PIO motor-run type.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
this is a diy amp

The amp is a simple two stage single-ended 6v6  with a type 76 front end. Iron is Electra-Print . Power supply is solid-state feeding dual tube series regulators. All capacitors are PIO motor-run type.

UL hookup for the 6V6? Electra-Print is some great iron.

Offline itscraig

Offline itscraig

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »
it was more to point out the style for me.
would love something  class A

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
Single Ended amps are Class A and many transformer coupled amplifiers have a balanced output (in a transformer output, the current/voltage is equal and opposite at the different terminals unless it is tied to earth or some other point)

Offline canman1971

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 07:06:54 AM »
We are currently in the final stages of “proof of design” for a boutique 10 - 15 units a year “no compromise” fully balanced Class A OTL (No SE) complete with dual differential linear balanced inputs and negative feedback output stages. The unit will come with CE approval, 12 month warranty on tubes, life time warranty on unit - future upgrades will be for end users account.

Offline xenithon

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
Super keen. How do we sign up for interest / waiting list?

Offline itscraig

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »
please send me the details too

Online gavinbirss

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »
@canman1971

Post a photo?
Keen on details also.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
@canman1971

Very interested to know more - please post further details ASAP!
is this unit going to be locally built?

Kingrex HQ1-Audio-gd NFB11.32-Little Dot Mkll-SRM252S-Benchmark DAC1 USB-RL Concero
LCD2F-HD600-SR207-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S-K171Mkll-M4U2-Y50

Offline canman1971

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
The unit will be locally manufactured with the absolute best imported components available “no compromise”. As for the look it will be similar to the Ray Samuels Emmeline B52 (not a reversed engineered copy). We are looking at an international CanJam launch during the course of next year - it will remain boutique - no more than 10 -15 units a year to be manufactured with CE approval and UL registration as out target market is export. The partners / shareholders in the project have our own professions therefore it will be basically a cost + overhead recovery and a 5% profit margin - a fun project to go up against the best of the best without costing $5000 ++++ . We are still in the early stages and therefore cannot share any further information until we have finalized a prototype for production.