POLL: A South African designed and built Headamp!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which features would you most like to see in the AVF-One Headphone Amplifier?

• Total voters

capetownwatches

Veteran Nogschlepper
Reaction score
And so it started:

Mr Mars,
build a headphone amp for us please.
  :groovy: :groovy: :groovy:

Here's the thread: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,67804.0.html

Thanks Craig - it's all on you buddy - you've gotten me thinking, and that doesn't always end well...  :thinking:

I think this is a brilliant idea, and I think even more brilliant to do it based on input from fellow Forumers.

What would YOU like to see in a locally conceived, designed and built TUBE headphone amplifier?

What would you be prepared to pay for such a beast? (This is obviously the crux). It should be accessible to all is my view.
Of course I am speaking from almost total ignorance here since I do not know the cost of quality parts.
But there is plenty evidence that it can be done on a tight budget and still achieve excellent sound and build quality if done right.

How should it look? OT or OTL? Hybrid? (Nah!)
Which tubes should be used? Should it accommodate low and high impedance headphones?
Pre-amp function?
How many inputs? What type of inputs?

Mr. Mars has indicated that he MIGHT be willing to take on such a challenge.
I say let's strike while the tube is hot (!) and before Mr. Mars has a chance to change his mind or find something else to do.
Let's give him something to sink his teeth into over the festive season.

I have no idea if this has been done before, and there may well be good reasons for that.
I think it's eminently do-able however.

SO...how about it folks? I like the sound of "The AVF-One Headphone Amplifier"  :2thumbs: