Author Topic: Sonarworks and silver cable  (Read 577 times)

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
Sonarworks and silver cable
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »
I have never used Sonarworks before, after Mr Xenithon recommended it i downloaded and installed it.
I guess it is not a new concept, we used equalizers for years.
What makes it so nice is the presets. Set it up for the headset you are using and tweak from there.

I have have now tried it with my LCD-2's and a silver cable, and i think it may just be on another level.
Yes I know that the cable does not make a huge difference, but the two together have changed the sound. And if i am to believe that it is as close to the way it was recorded as possible, I would believe it.
There are little details that have become clearer, instruments that sound like they should when being played.
Clean and crisp.

I have not used the stock cable for a long time and got it out to see what the difference would be. No huge difference, then hit the on/off button on Sonarworks and it is night and day, between the cables.
Well I am amazed that each cable has a different result. I have three cables that i have been changing.
It is like changing DAC's, each has something i like. However like headphones it is not something that I would continually change.
I have therefore settled on the silver cable, there is just something that i like about the sound. For this current setup anyway.

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Sonarworks and silver cable
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
Interesting observation Craig. Sonarworks is a very well-executed implementation of a simple idea but the silver angle is intriguing. I dont have silver LCD cables, but I will give the Sonar on Silver combo a try on the HD650's.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:11:58 PM »
So glad it is working out so well and to the benefit of the system. Just worth mentioning that the cable is silver-plate UPOCC copper; which I feel provides the best of both worlds. Agree it won't be night and day, but in an already finely tuned system, can make a marked (positive) difference :2thumbs:

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Where does one download it from, please someone?
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Online capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
https://www.sonarworks.com/?utm_source=Adwords&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=Brand_Sonarworks&utm_term=Any_trial&utm_content=Sonarworks&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1eu65_HP1wIVhrftCh2EugN4EAAYASAAEgK0KfD_BwE

This disturbs me...Sonarworks is basically a smart equaliser, right? Except that it equalizes headphones and not the individual track or album.
Very clever angle.

But...we are told that EQ is bad, even when it sounds "good".
I for one have never felt the need to use any kind of EQ, for a few reasons. Mainly because on PC I find it degrades rather than improves.

So one buys this and by default will use it for all one's listening henceforth, right? Especially since it costs R1300 bucks...

I dunno - even listening to the demo on their site - sounded different, lots more bass, but how accurate is that really?
This system is asking us to embrace changing the default sound we listen to and are used to hearing.

I am coming into this totally cold since I only discovered Sonarworks by dint of this thread half an hour ago, but this is my immediate reaction.

I await the inevitable responses...   :flame:  :sweat:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:14:35 PM by capetownwatches »

NFB11.32 - Little Dot MKll - Benchmark DAC1 USB
LCD2F - HD600 - DT990Pro 250 - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:42:22 PM »
A little more sophisticated but essentially a smart EQ tool yes. It corrects (i.e. flattens) headphone frequency response based on averaged or individual measurements. Nice thing it does so many bits deep in the digital domain so it leaves the technicalities in tact. 100% wet correction sounds ... well ... flat and boring on most cans. 40-50% wet correction to the B&K curve is my lazy preference. The simulation feature is a hoot and can turn any calibrated headphone into HD650, K612 or RS1000 at the click of a button. Well worth the money.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:34 PM »
P.S. not all EQ is bad ... ask Steve Hoffman - he built the DCC Gold Disc legacy on EQ.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Is eq only bad for headphones ?

But recordings are severely eqd anyway , so how is it bad ..

I dont use it often but have no gripes when I want to , its like personalization / customizing your sound not so ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 02:54:49 AM »

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »
hi Doge,
i have tried that on too.
very good
thank you

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
I have just now downloaded the trial of sonarworks' EQ. In my case, suffering as I am from NIHL, the EQ really remarkably improves what I hear on my DT880. The damage is chiefly where one hears the higher frequencies and with EQ the sound suddenly "comes to life", as it is set up for my age and boosts the frequencies from 10kHz and higher. I wanted to upload an image of the set-up screen, but apparently postimage can only handle photographs.
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline GoodEnoughGear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
You can do some mild manipulation in SonarWorks to tweak it - you can reduce the amount of effect it has (wetness) and you can do some tilting and bass boosting to kind of dial it in.

I've modeled the output of the SonarWorks calibration profile for my monitors in DMG Equilibrium and IMO I get better results there and full configurability but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax - you need to want to tangle with full digital EQ.

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 02:59:29 PM »
I have just now downloaded the trial of sonarworks' EQ. In my case, suffering as I am from NIHL, the EQ really remarkably improves what I hear on my DT880. The damage is chiefly where one hears the higher frequencies and with EQ the sound suddenly "comes to life", as it is set up for my age and boosts the frequencies from 1kHz and higher. I wanted to upload an image of the set-up screen, but apparently postimage can only handle photographs.
I was too late to modify the post - that time limit is rather silly in my view - so I changed the frequency here.
David Avocado Wolfe

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
Has anyone compared the SW plugin v3 against the new v4? And also the new Sonarworks True-Fi app?