Author Topic: Afrihost  (Read 2980 times)

Offline kolakidd

Re: Afrihost
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »
Yoh! Also downloading the internet?

6TB is not bad if you include two homes and a business with a big mail server.

The people on your residential fibre loop would probably lynch you if they knew the reason they weren't getting full fibre speeds at night.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »
You mind elaborating on "beam"?
Is "scotty" involved?

I use Ubiquiti radios. If you have line of sight you can connect two buildings together no worries the same as running a network cable. So between the three buildings we just have an extended office network. Best thing is being able to use internal programs like CCTV and Sage without using any internet traffic.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
6TB is not bad if you include two homes and a business with a big mail server.

The people on your residential fibre loop would probably lynch you if they knew the reason they weren't getting full fibre speeds at night.

lol true... although tbh last month we actually didn't even use 400GB bandwidth between all three sites, so 6TB would be very hard to hit continually for sure - literally download the internet ;D

Offline Juggy

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »
Soooo, my experience with C-Fiber/CellC has soured greatly over the last few weeks trying to get support from them.

Monday the were supposed to cancel my fiber connectivity and put my line back in the pool so Cool Ideas could take it over. Not only has that not happened but they submitted an order for line cancellation with Openserve which would mean I would have to apply for re-connectivity all over again. It's Thursday now and they still haven't got it right. Guys, stay far away from these clowns, they have f'all idea about customer service. If I send a support request they take a week to respond and when they do they ask a question over email then immediately close your request so when you respond your incident doesn't exist anymore. You cannot speak to their accounts department, you need to send an email and wait anywhere from 7 to 14 days for an answer. Pathetic, they have no clue about customer service or about how the ISP environment works. If I never see them again after this experience it will be too soon....

I have been without connectivity since Tuesday, I work from home most nights and some weekends so this is a real stuff up :(

Offline BWS

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
Voxtelecom on Openserve has been an absolute pleasure for me
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
Damn no fiber in my area, ADSL sh!t due to Telkom issues.  :walled:

I use Telkom mobile uncapped and I take down about 700GB, and the speed is about 25-35MB/s. Although fiber is currently being installed in my area, I am happy with the LTE offering from Telkom.

Offline Mervin

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 01:03:48 PM »
Waiting for my last leg connection 200MB up and down Vumatel and Afrihost.  I do not care about the support as I am quick to open a case at ICASA if the service sucks.
Did that once with Telkom and boy, my 10MB line is running basically 12MB since then
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline Juggy

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
Waiting for my last leg connection 200MB up and down Vumatel and Afrihost.  I do not care about the support as I am quick to open a case at ICASA if the service sucks.
Did that once with Telkom and boy, my 10MB line is running basically 12MB since then

Yeah, I may actually go ICASA route if this isn't resolved tomorrow

I've got Openserve and Vumatel in my house so will ditch Openserve and go 200/200 from Cool Ideas from next week.

Had enough of Telkom rubbish

Offline Mervin

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
Yeah, I may actually go ICASA route if this isn't resolved tomorrow

I've got Openserve and Vumatel in my house so will ditch Openserve and go 200/200 from Cool Ideas from next week.

Had enough of Telkom rubbish
Go ICASA ASAP
They will be doing their job like the are suppose to.
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »
I have 200/20mbps MWEB on Vumatel at my house.
So far MWEB has given very good service. Vox is slightly cheaper.
Afrihost will never have me as a customer again even if they are the last ISP in SA. I'll rather use a carrier pigeon.

I think 100/10 is the sweet spot. I ran a constant 100mbps down on the 100/10 package. With the 200mbps package speedtest.net maxes out at between 140 to 160 mbps.
Interestingly enough fast.com refuses to exceed 101mbps. I wonder if Netflix's servers are capped at that speed?

Offline BWS

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
Don't need much more than 20Meg down for Netflix HD
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Juggy

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
Just went live with Vumatel and Cool Ideas on a 200/200 service. What phenomenal service from both companies.

Great experience thus far.

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
Just went live with Vumatel and Cool Ideas on a 200/200 service. What phenomenal service from both companies.

Great experience thus far.

Do you get a full 200mbps download on speedtest.net?

Offline Juggy

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
Do you get a full 200mbps download on speedtest.net?

Yeah, get slightly better results with built in ubiquiti test though. 208 down 210 up

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:46:00 PM by Juggy »

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »
This is where mine maxes out