Author Topic: Cyrus PSX-R worthwhile?  (Read 823 times)

Offline BJGreen

Cyrus PSX-R worthwhile?
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
Hi All,

Was wondering if the Cyrus PSX-R power supply will make a noticeable difference on a DAC XP? Anyone who has tried it out, would really appreciate some advice.

TIA
Brad

Offline Rodney_gold

Re: Cyrus PSX-R worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
Yes..... its worthwhile
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
yessssssssssssss
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline BJGreen

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
Thanks, now I just need to try find one.............. :groovy:

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
I could be the only one of the opposite opinion but nevertheless:
I find it really difficult to believe that Cyrus would purposely design a premium component that DAC-X was back in the day with inadequate on-board power supply.
Simply put... it cannot be done without seriously compromising the sound of the stock Pre and I don't see how would they get away with that.

PSX on Cyrus amps makes sense because
- It increases the rail voltage for more output power
- It provides the higher current for significantly stiffer supply

PSX on Preamp+DAC ... I don't know. Haven't had the first hand experience and credible reviews are not available (after a quick google search).

My thinking...
Investing into a PSX-R would likely double the price of the DAC-X which, being a rather dated component, is not easily justified.
If you are after building a Cyrus-only stack and money is no object, well, no quarrel there.
If you are after improving the DAC sound, I'd have a look at the Musical Fidelity tubed 192k DAC that MarkC is selling.

Just my 0.02 ...  :dop:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Cyrus PSX-R worthwhile?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:47:32 AM »
More or less agree with FDL.     I believe it will make a significant difference.  However, evaluated against the cost of the psx and value of the DAC one should also consider ones options of what to buy with psx money plus revenue from selling the Current Dac.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline BJGreen

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
Thanks Gents,

agree fully, at the price the Psx goes for genrally, not really worthwhile to upgrade (price wise), rather get a better DAC. The main reason I was asking is, every now and again, the Psxr comes up for a relatively good price. Im not too keen on a new DAC just yet, Quiet happy with the Cyrus for now, if a psx comes up, I might just take the plunge.....if the price is right!

Thanks for Advice! :thumbs:

Offline BJGreen

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
So as it turns out, I can get a PSX for about R2500 from the UK (got family coming next month). At that price it seems worthwhile? in 2 mind bout it........

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
So as it turns out, I can get a PSX for about R2500 from the UK (got family coming next month). At that price it seems worthwhile? in 2 mind bout it........
You won't lose money on it, I think. So, cheap way of trying.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 09:07:51 PM »
You won't lose money on it, I think. So, cheap way of trying.

Worth doing for that. 

Just make sure itís the right PSX R or what ever version you need, not an old PSX. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline BJGreen

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »
Just been outbid on the unit! :sd:

Price has jumped to R3600!