Valve change - check my logic

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanjammy

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
So my package of KT90s and KT88s arrived today. New EH KT90s and One Golden Lion KT88

I currently run an EAR890 with Golden Lions. One of the valves was reading a bit low (hence the replacement). I am pretty happy with how the system was sounding, but wanted to try the valves that de Paravicini designed it for.

So, needless to say (patience is not my strong suit), I slotted the KT90s in as soon as I tore the package open. The valves were burned in by Tube Depot, and were tested and matched. I switched on, checked for hum (almost none), gave it a few minutes warm up.

An it sounded terrible. Sure, more bass slam, but less midrange magic, and the speakers seemed to have found a midrange resonance that was disturbing. Hmmmm

I left the system playing for a few hours, then switched off. Seems to have settled down a lot. More than I think is really possible - which makes me question my observations. The KT90s have a fair bit more speed in the upper bass, and a midbass flourish that that has tweaked a room resonance (luckily my treatments are arriving tomorrow), but the differences are small. Mids and highs remain lucid, although perhaps a smidgen more grain than the KT88s.

Does anyone else have similar experiences between these valves? I'd love to understand more.

Also, Tube Depot (great service, and all valves seem to work perfectly BTW), provides a bias point measurement. Is this in any way relatable to the AVO measurement (I think its a current draw IIRC)?

Latest posts