Author Topic: Drop in Tidal membership costs  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Spurge

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
Drop in Tidal membership costs
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
While the ANC mismanages the economy so our Rand is turned to compost, we will at least remain able to afford to stream sweet beautiful music.

Just received a notice from Tidal that my (our?) membership will decrease from R144pm to R119,99pm effective 15 Dec 2017.

Vote for Tidal !!

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Drop in Tidal membership costs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
Mine is R179.99 per month as i took out the family membership. My son probably uses it more than I do!

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
The reason for this is probably because of Deezer Hi Fi just launched at R119 for all subscribers (yesterday, I think).

I've always preferred Deezer for its bigger library, but their CD-quality, lossless FLAC option was only available to the owners of Sonos devices. That's changed now, so maybe consider it as an alternative.

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Momo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
I am planning on getting Tidal pretty soon ,but if you say the library is bigger on Deezer perhaps I should re-consider

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
It seems I was mistaken. There's very little to choose between the libraries now as they increase daily but are only officially announced intermittently.

I have however heard that Deezer has a better rounded library with access to a wider variety of independant musicians and more instances of art genres like Jazz and Classical. Tidal has exclusive albums but it's up to you as to whether or not you need that sort of thing. I find that even though lossless, those songs are released overly compressed and too loud. You can hear masters too, but that doesn't mean they're masters of well recorded audiophile-grade songs.

With both lossless offerings at the same price now (although I think there's a really cheap signup bonus for Deezer Hi Fi now), the differences are really subjective. I'd recommend you go with what makes the most sense to you as a user and a listener. I'm still tempted to try Tidal, but I'm more confident now in sticking with Deezer.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »
As per my questions on Deezer:

1. Can you get vouchers for it (no credit card)
2. Can you download content (no home internet)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online seanjammy

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:53 PM »

You can download content. I'm sure of that - just unsure if you can download onto a PC or just a phone/tablet.

As for vouchers, I doubt it. Why not use Paypal for security, though?

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:01:19 PM »
No access to PayPal that I know of.  If I can do that by EFT I would be happy to try.  Iím Nedbank - anyone know if it is possible?
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online seanjammy

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:17 PM »
No access to PayPal that I know of.  If I can do that by EFT I would be happy to try.  Iím Nedbank - anyone know if it is possible?

You can do it with FNB - not sure about Nedbank. Maybe worthwhile opening a cheap account just to be able to transact internationally?

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »
Has other TIDAL subscribers had billing issues recently (after the lowered subscription cost) with the monthly subscription or purchasing music from the TIDAL store?

I am having issues which TIDAL does not seem to understand...

more to follow...

Offline Agaton Sax

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »
Has other TIDAL subscribers had billing issues recently (after the lowered subscription cost) with the monthly subscription or purchasing music from the TIDAL store?

more to follow...

Yes. I pay Tidal via Paypal. No problems for more than a year. Now suddenly I receive daily e-mails  that Tidal are experiencing problems with my subscription. Nothing wrong with my PayPal or linked credit card-all other subscriptions going off except Tidal. I mailed them but no response and my account suspended as of today.

Offline El Sid

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »

more to follow...

I just checked and my deductions hit my credit card on the 6th for whatever reason, so I'll let you know tomorrow

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
PayPal have confirmed that ZAR is not a supported currency. They can not process payments for unsupported currencies.

Odd that TIDAL can not determine the cause of the general problem. Buying an album from the TIDAL store would change, not convert the currency on the amount due and PayPal processing would result in an error.

They need to fix their billing and web front-end. I have asked for a PayPal invoice and to be billed in dollars, they seem to think it can be corrected by the user.

No response or understanding of my tickets or request yet.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:47:26 PM by gavinbirss »

Offline El Sid

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:01 PM »
I just checked and my deductions hit my credit card on the 6th for whatever reason, so I'll let you know tomorrow

Just came through now, so apparently no issue if paying directly with a credit card

Offline mocodo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »

You can only download on mobile devices (via the app). Not with the web interface.