Floorstanding Speaker Enclosures - First time build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick

AVForums Member
Reaction score
A friend showed me http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com 's website and I decided to attempt to build the Extrememon XL's (floorstanding). I mailed Tony Gee and he responded quite quickly with the full sized plans. Saturday morning I ambled off to a wood place near me and got the wood cut up (18mm MDF), had to take an entire board so I have enough wood to build another set of speakers easy just lying around. The idea was to build the enclosures and use some temporary ancient Pioneer hifi speakers I had lying around that I bought at a boot sale for R50.

A few pics, sorry for the quality they were all taken with my blackberry.

diyspeakers01.jpg

Cheapie speaker terminals from Zakspeed

diyspeakers02.jpg

One box semi built you an see the offcuts on the wall on the right  ;D

diyspeakers03.jpg

Both boxes built, busy with the internal bracings

diyspeakers04.jpg

Ports made out of 40mm 'Waste Pipe' as the Hardware store called it

diyspeakers05.jpg

Cut the speaker holes and got horribly impatient so I dragged them in to the house to test and was quite suprised..

diyspeakers06.jpg

After I dragged them into my house to test I discovered (after using the speakers before) that the one 6" driver was blown :( Tweeters were fine on both so I bought two cheapie 6"'s from Zakspeed (yes yes.. I know these are temporary  ;D ) Can see the original Pioneer crossover mounted just under the driver. I plan to neaten the wires later

diyspeakers07.jpg

Fibrefill the inner bracings as per the instructions

diyspeakers08.jpg

He then recommended using some expensive foam for the rear, top and bottom panels. I found some foam to use..

diyspeakers09.jpg

Ready to close up and test! The bottom compartment needs to be filled with sand which I have yet to find. Need dried clean fine 'hourglass' type sand.

Right so how do they sound? Im not a proper audiophile, I own an ipod and think it sounds alright with my Sen'y HD202s.. but Im very impressed  :eek: With the fibrefill and foam in the bass is tight and punchy, the tweeters arent harsh at all. Ive played mostly Enya (not sure why I own this), Bob Marley and some Sheryl Crow through it and every CD Im noticing sounds that I havent before. They are currently being powered by my lowly Technics SU-C04 via my Philips HDMI upscaling DVD player (dont own a proper CD player, its on the list of things to get).

This weekend I got offered a Sony component system for a really good price, amp, centre, fronts and rear speakers. I figured the AV amp must have a better rated output than the ancient Technics, but I was very wrong. Sony amp has zero bass, even with bass set to +6 its harsh and brittle..? (its like this with the stock speakers too) So Ive dumped the amp in the corner and Im back to using the Technics..

One question I do have is the crossover is currently just cutting the sound for the tweeters, would it sound a whole whack better with something cutting the tops off for the 6"?

Comments/Insults/Suggestions welcome  :D