Author Topic: Professional power amplifiers  (Read 519 times)

Offline revtoluck

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Professional power amplifiers
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »
Is it a good idea to use the so called professional amplifiers with an AVR. Example Beringer, Yamaha, etc professional power amp. Or this amps will damage my speakers?

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Professional power amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:10:24 PM »
Is it a good idea to use the so called professional amplifiers with an AVR. Example Beringer, Yamaha, etc professional power amp. Or this amps will damage my speakers?
Try it and have fun. Unlikely to cause damage, in fact the pro amps tend to have better protection in place than consumer stuff due to the higher power. Some make a good toot but overall the quality for home  audio is a bit lacking.

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:43:29 AM »
The biggest problem you will have with a pro amp is the fan.. they are often quite noisy .. I ran my G1's with a crown amp and was quite impressed .. until the fan came on!!!!
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
The biggest problem you will have with a pro amp is the fan.. they are often quite noisy .. I ran my G1's with a crown amp and was quite impressed .. until the fan came on!!!!

Possibly if you use a lower series model it might not have a fan and hence avoid this issue?

I also like the Crown amps and most of these Crown models sound fairly decent ... even for Hi-Fi ... they should be great for Home Theatre

Offline revtoluck

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. Will start shopping for a Prof Amp.

Offline Katji

• AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:54:46 PM »
It really depends a lot on the brand and so on.  ...Although most of the issues are related to driving [too many] big pro audio speakers - not applicable to using for home audio. 
The old saying "you get what you pay for" really does apply with this. Best to ask opinions on the fb group for pro audio DIY speaker building - there are two guys there, in particular, that would help you a lot. You'll find there is so much marketing bs and bs specs. Although, like said already, much of that - the power output specs - does not apply when it's for use in home audio.
There are some /few/ that do not have fans - and would not have overheating issues in a home audio context - but that limits the options too much. [imo]

Offline AcuDefTechGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
pro amps...the quality for home audio is a bit lacking.

Are you referring to the build quality or the sound quality or both? :D

I think a good quality pro amp like the Crown amps (I've owned the efficient XLS Class-D amps) will have excellent sound quality.

I have no reservation about using something like a Crown XLS1500 amp in my systems.

But cheaper poor quality amps (whether Pro or Home Audio) may be more prone to higher noise and malfunction.

Personally, I would never use the cheapest amps on the market, whether pro or home audio.

But higher quality amps (pro and home audio) will all sound great.
System #1: RBH SX-T2/R (5) . DENON AVP-A1HDCI . ATI AT3005 . ATI AT2005
System #2: RBH SVT-831R/1212 (2) . RBH SA-500DSP . DENON AVR-5308CI . ATI AT3002

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »
The only reason one would use a pro amp in a consumer application is cost, and that usually means some of the lower-rung models. Of course there are some really nice pro stuff available, but especially if one only needs moderate power it's just not the best match.
One other possible caveat of pro amps is that some have very low input sensitivity to deal with very high-gain sources. A few standards exist, but +12dBu and +18dBu are not uncommon. Many have input pad switches but some do not, and in that case a standard consumer source of e.g. +8dBu is not capable of driving the amp into full power.
Best as always: try it and see. I've had good results with some Camco amps too back in the day.

Offline AcuDefTechGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:13:34 PM »
There are pros and cons of both Pro and Home Audio amps.

I do agree that the salient factor in buying Pro amps is cost.

But I have used a Crown XLS2000 amp with my Revel Salon2 and B&W 802 D2. And they sounded great. They sounded as good as any Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Bryston, Classe, McIntosh, Rotel, Anthem amps I've used and heard.

These speakers could not tell the difference because they are getting clean high quality sound with plenty of power to spare. I never even heard the internal fans come on because these Class-D amps are so efficient and they stayed so cool.

One major drawback of Pro amps is aesthetics. :D

Before I built my new custom house with a dedicated equipment room, aesthetic was a major issue. There was no way I was going to display a Pro amp next to my Revel Salon2, B&W 802 D2, RBH SVT-831R/1212 towers, KEF Reference 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, etc. :D

But now that all of my equipment are inside a dedicated room, aesthetic is no longer a concern for me. It doesn't make any sense to me to sell all my ATI amps because I would only get about 40% back.

But if I were starting over from scratch now, I would not hesitate to grab 5 Crown XLS1500 Class-D 300WPC amps for my 10Ch system, which would cost me $2,000 USD for 5 amps, instead of spending about $6,000 USD for 10Ch of home audio 300WPC amps!

System #1: RBH SX-T2/R (5) . DENON AVP-A1HDCI . ATI AT3005 . ATI AT2005
System #2: RBH SVT-831R/1212 (2) . RBH SA-500DSP . DENON AVR-5308CI . ATI AT3002

Offline Ampdog

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 03:10:35 AM »
My experience of pro amps - in fact most pro equipment -  is that not nearly so much pseudo-scientific BS is flowing forth in promotion. Write-ups are not to woo a gullible public or one-upmanship regardless of who reads; try that with pro equipment and you lose clients, who are comparatively knowledgable people. 
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Katji

• AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
And they don't "listen to" cables; the cables bs doesn't exist in that context.
But at the same time, 90% of the pro audio buyers - speakers and amps - in SA are abysmally ignorant. ...Because they are not "pro's".