Author Topic: PS4 Fundis  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Simango4

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: PS4 Fundis
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
and a Nintendo Switch
[/s]
My obsession with AAA games when it comes to those with excellent graphics, large open world & realistic simulations keeps me away from Nintendo, I don't know of any great AAA game that is exclusive to Nintendo...
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »
Nintendo have Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Mario Kart 8. In budget, scale, development, marketing, and sales, these are all AAA games.   

But yes, I agree Nintendo is not for everyone. I haven't owned a single Nintendo console since the original Famicom (although I hope to get the Switch eventually).

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Gifted

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
I would def suggest a PC over a console. and PC gaming is booming at the moment, so the vast majority of games are released on PC with better graphics if you have a good system.

The big problem is that its the worst possible time to build a PC games machine at the moment. The worldwide shortage of DDR ram and GPU's has sent component prices through the roof. So Consoles are looking very good value atm.

Offline Simango4

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »
Consoles don't even give you options to customize your graphics and optimize FPS or graphics details like PCs do.

A lot of PS4 games are locked at 1080p to keep 60FPS or 30FPS, some even drop the resolution to 900p to maintain playable FPS. The normal Xbox One drops down to 720p to maintain playable FPS.

So as much as they market the 4k resolution so much, most of the time, you don't even play anywhere close to it, and if you do, it's usually at the expense of playable FPS. So I think the 4k capability can be safely ruled out from the criteria when choosing consoles among PS4's...

Xbox One X is currently the best bet for consoles (it's equivalent to a mid-range gaming PC), however, its price defeats the whole argument of consoles being extremely cheaper than PC.
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Simango4

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »
Nintendo have Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Mario Kart 8. In budget, scale, development, marketing, and sales, these are all AAA games.   

But yes, I agree Nintendo is not for everyone. I haven't owned a single Nintendo console since the original Famicom (although I hope to get the Switch eventually).

My only problem with Nintendo games is their design focus, they only focus on arcade type of graphics rather mixing with realistic graphics to cater for people like me...I'm obsessed with realistic graphics, the likes of Forza, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Crysis 1 and 3...and the PC graphics show off - Arma 3.

So indeed, like you said, Nintendo is not for everyone.

Offline Morne Coetzee

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • POWER | PRECISION | PURITY
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »
Just to echo on that small "buy a PC" voice :flame:

My take is that A mid-range gaming PC offers better graphics and better performance at such uncontested level of details.

PC games are usually cheaper than console versions.

It also does the HT chores (i.e. Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, iTunes, Foobar etc.) better than any other device out there.

Plus you get to use it for other duties that Consoles can't help with like running CAD, Office, Photo editing software, REW etc.

You just need a few mods to make it more HT compliant, starting with a HTPC case, then replace the stock cooling fans with dirt cheap silent PWM controllable Fans, some of the fans are capable of producing under 10dBA of sound when in operation.

Oh, and get hold of Xbox controllers for PC (just a normal Xbox controller with a USB wireless receiver for PC).

So I agree, you spend a little more than on a console, but the gains are way better in every way.

I am sorry after spending the whole day in front of a PC at work, going home to go and sit in front of another PC in itself will ruin the gaming experience for me. Playing on a console is so much more fun and convenient.
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline Morne Coetzee

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • POWER | PRECISION | PURITY
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
The HDD in the PS4 is replaceable with a standard 2.5" laptop drive, it can also make use of an external USB drive to store games on.

I've gone 100% digital with my games, just more convenient. I have a 500GB SSD for system storage (which I use for the games I'm currently playing) and a 6TB external drive which serves to house my game library.

Do you know if you can connect a PS4 to a NAS?
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline wolfandy

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
Do you know if you can connect a PS4 to a NAS?

To store games, save data, etc on the NAS - no

To access movies, etc on the NAS - yes (not sure about direct access to folders, but definitely via Plex)