Author Topic: New Room, No Bass  (Read 1042 times)

Offline windshear

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: New Room, No Bass
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
I need to ask the obvious question here. What receiver is it. More importantly how did you verify you had no bass. What was your source material , your source device and how was it connected?

Offline Karabo C

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
I need to ask the obvious question here. What receiver is it. More importantly how did you verify you had no bass. What was your source material , your source device and how was it connected?

Yamaha receiver, plus (as mentioned in the original post) together with other types of power/pre amps, DACs. Sources are a mede8er and android box with content played through the home network from a NAS. Depending on equipment, connections whether either HDMI or  traditional line level connections.

Source material ranged from movies, music and test tones.

I say that I have no bass because I could not hear any at various locations in the room. I haven't yet measured the actual room response to verify what's going on. But apart from the REW room simulation, it is very apparent to me that there's a fundamental acoustic problem with the room, with the bass response being the most noticeable.

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
Sometimes, it would help to get another set of ear's in to confirm that you have a problem, even better would be to get someone whom knows about acoustics, like Timber_MG [ as has been mentioned before in this thread], or others.

That should be quick and easy and less painful, time consuming and cheap [ the cost of Martin's preferred beverage]. Once you have confirmed your problem, he will guide you to a solution.

Use the resources available to you on the forum, you would be surprised how many guys would come out of the woodwork to assist you.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
I haven't yet measured the actual room response to verify what's going on. But apart from the REW room simulation, it is very apparent to me that there's a fundamental acoustic problem with the room, with the bass response being the most noticeable.
I managed to get my room to a pretty decent state apart from the sub-bass null.  It's going to take installation of room treatment recommended by someone that knows what they're doing, that's all.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 05:20:32 PM »
When dealing with wide-band nulls it is imperative to understand which mode(s) are responsible and which axi(e)s. In Evan's case it was front/back interacting with the ceiling and it was just unfortunate geometrically in that most speaker/listener positions had two modes. Also at the frequencies involved one needs to attain a high absorption coefficient or one might not achieve the desired effect as 3dB off a null that's 20dB deep is still far off, one would aim for something at least an order of magnitude which implies absorption of at least half that energy in the plane in question.

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
It could be that you are used to overblown bass and that the "where is the bass?" is a reaction to that?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,64747.msg789482.html#msg789482

Do a forum search on "KRK Ergo" for some real life examples of what it can do for you.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Karabo C

• AVForums Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
It could be that you are used to overblown bass and that the "where is the bass?" is a reaction to that?

I don't think so. In and around the listening position, there is literally no bass, by any standard I would say. Almost as if the speakers' bass drivers have been disconnected. It is that obvious. I was able to briefly move the speakers to a bedroom yesterday. Totally different results. The bass was there, plus the highs and mids sound much clearer.

With 15 inch subwoofers in each of the front corners of the problematic room, the results were more or less the same, with only a slightly marginal increase in bass levels. However, at the rear corners there was a LOT of bass. Really loud, very boomy and unbearable.

This is clearly a room acoustics issue, as several others have suggested in this post.

I'll attend to the room later in the year, if not some time early next year. Too many things on my plate for now.

Thanks for the useful suggestions and input.

Offline Karabo C

• AVForums Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,64747.msg789482.html#msg789482

Do a forum search on "KRK Ergo" for some real life examples of what it can do for you.

Looks interesting but out of the question, I'm afraid. Unless something breaks or is stolen I have no plans to buy gear anytime soon.

Offline Karabo C

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »
Some interesting and promising results. I had a few minutes to spare this afternoon and played around in the room.

In addition to not being happy with the bass, the mid and highs weren't all that nice. The room is still bare so I thought I scatter about sixteen 1200x600 fiberglass panels I had on the side and rear walls and see what happens. Also had 2 straddling the front corners.

Night and day difference!!!! Bass is now there, mids and highs much clearer. The system is very listenable now.

I really didn't expect this.

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 06:56:14 PM »
what do you mean by fiberglass panels?
do they not give passive sound?

Offline Karabo C

• AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
what do you mean by fiberglass panels?
do they not give passive sound?

Like so

Offline ALF

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
I am not so technical in acoustics as some of you but in the old days I used to invite somebody over with a good deep voice to my place and ask him to talk loud and sing all over the room and sitting in my listening spot. That was a easy and fast way to pickup good and bad speaker placements and to listen what your room acoustics are doing. 
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Stockfisch South Africa
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »
I have a pair of bass traps which are surplus to requirement, you’re welcome to come and collect them if you want. May help with experimentation. Just PM me.

Andy
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor