Forgive me Philips for we have sinned ... or have we?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsYourUncle

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Forgive me Philips for we have sinned, by we , I mean the people who fitted 2 universal 8 inch drivers as replacements and then painted the drivers black to hide the orange surround foam.

So this weekend I picked up a pair of Philips 484 speakers. Once I got home, I realised that it did not have the original woofers but does have the original tweeter.
The cabs have been painted with grey paint but aren't actually in terrible condition.

The replacement drivers are 200W max! 8 inch woofers. I have removed these and am planning on fitting some old Aiwa "digital" woofers in ( they say Digital on the dust cap)

I will post a few pics from tapatalk shortly. Are these worth going through the effort ad expense of sourcing original drivers? From what I can see is that the crossover is one cap to the tweeter , and another cap to the mid, that's it. Within reason of coarse, how critical would woofer matching be here? I ask before doing in this case because I would need to widen the driver mount opening my a bout 1mm to get the Aiwa driver to fit properly.

Were these known to be good sounding speakers or are they average consumer house and home grade.  Do I or don't I get these to tip top shape( sound wise, looks wise , nothing will fix the grey paint but its only in your face on close inspection.