Author Topic: Camps Bay Home Cinema - 2017  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Mirror Edge Networks
Re: Camps Bay Home Cinema - 2017
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2017, 12:17:29 PM »
now we talking
AWESOME :Whoohoo:

Glad you are enjoying this! More photos to be posted shortly  :thumbs:
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.MirrorEdgeNetworks.com

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
Let me know when you are ready to start talking about this  ;)

On my budget I will have to DIY it.  I hope you won't mind but I might be stealing some ideas (like building the speakers "into" the drywall)?  It looks AMAZING!

Offline Spurge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
Hello Morgan,

Have read the thread again and the following springs to mind >>>

1) The chevron on the side walls design looks really great. Great workmanship. Easthetically this is a prize project.
2) You have stated this is an Atmos focussed theatre. The ceiling speakers are clearly so positioned.
3) What I understand of DTS:X the speaker placements is that this theatre would be good for DTS:X as well. Would this be correct? Processor can help?
4) The theatre will not work for Auro3D because there are no 30 degree above ear level height speakers. Would this be correct?
5) One of the traditional issues with theatre seating is addressed in this theatre due to the "staggered" positioning. A viewer is able to turn partially around and converse with persons on te rear seat without creaking their necks. Was this intentional? They are not only staggered because of the narrowness of the room?
6) I find the position of the front side-wall speakers unique. What is the theory behind and benefit of adding them please? Atmos diagrammes do not normally show these.

This would help me understanding the particular design.
Thanks Morgan

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
Glad you are enjoying this! More photos to be posted shortly  :thumbs:

Well?  :whistler:

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
Well?  :whistler:

Morgan's short is your long (sy tottie is jou daarrie) ^-^

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
 ;D

I just want to see the next installment!

Offline Albertronics

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2017, 03:17:31 AM »
This is absolutely incredible.  One day I will own a room like this...

I am happy to say that I do own a room like that. But, I am also sad to say that there is Bugger-all in it, just a load of junk  :vsad:

Good work Irwin; as always. Well done. Kind regards. Shamil.

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
On my budget I will have to DIY it.  I hope you won't mind but I might be stealing some ideas (like building the speakers "into" the drywall)?  It looks AMAZING!

You are welcome to look at implementing some of the design concepts, installing speakers into the baffle wall is not unique, however I would suggest reading up and researching it a little first before implementing.
Also look at which speakers are suitable for actually being in-wall mounted.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2017, 10:11:59 PM »
Morgan's short is your long (sy tottie is jou daarrie) ^-^

Its just the time of the year :) the next threads of home cinemas that we are working on will have more regular and consistent posting. Promise ;)
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
I am happy to say that I do own a room like that. But, I am also sad to say that there is Bugger-all in it, just a load of junk  :vsad:

Good work Irwin; as always. Well done. Kind regards. Shamil.

You just need to let me know when you are ready to start building that proper home cinema ;)
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
I am going to do my best to answer your questions as best possible :)

Hello Morgan,

Have read the thread again and the following springs to mind >>>

1) The chevron on the side walls design looks really great. Great workmanship. Easthetically this is a prize project.
2) You have stated this is an Atmos focussed theatre. The ceiling speakers are clearly so positioned.
3) What I understand of DTS:X the speaker placements is that this theatre would be good for DTS:X as well. Would this be correct? Processor can help?
4) The theatre will not work for Auro3D because there are no 30 degree above ear level height speakers. Would this be correct?
5) One of the traditional issues with theatre seating is addressed in this theatre due to the "staggered" positioning. A viewer is able to turn partially around and converse with persons on te rear seat without creaking their necks. Was this intentional? They are not only staggered because of the narrowness of the room?
6) I find the position of the front side-wall speakers unique. What is the theory behind and benefit of adding them please? Atmos diagrammes do not normally show these.

This would help me understanding the particular design.
Thanks Morgan

1 - Thanks, we are hoping that the client will allow us permission to submit it for the international CEDIA award for home cinema for the 2018 awards. We will keep you posted on whether we go down this route or not.

2 - Yes, Atmos is the standard that is easiest to work to in most clients houses. This is also evident in this cinema. The ability to go with height speakers would have been a challenge so the speaker layout was implemented as 9.1.4

3 - The approach from DTS (Dedicated to Sound, for those that are not aware what the acronym stands for) is that DTS:X can be implemented on any speaker layout where height speakers are implemented. (I have personally not been able to find a definitive published document from DTS prescribing the speaker layout, but rather various releases to say that the DTS:X system will work on both Atmos and Auro speaker layouts)

4 - We have a major benefit in this cinema that the surround sound processor is a Trinnov Altitude 32-16. It will process any surround sound audio track into the speaker layout that is installed. This is the only processor that I am aware of currently available on the market that will receive Atmos, Auro3D, DTS:X, as well as 5.1 /7.1 (even Stereo) and process it into the 3D surround sound speaker configuration. So in technicality to answer your question a bit more directly, it will handle Auro3D, the height effects might not be as prevalent as anticipated in a normal Auro3D speaker configuration. But that being said, the room does not have a very heigh ceiling, so the effect of Auro3D would not be particularly noticeable in any case.

5 - The seating position is intentional (the final seats are not the ones in the layout diagrams, but photos will be posted soon)
The constraint of this room would be to accomodate seating for multiple people where there is as little compromise as possible. The way the seats are laid out provides the most engaging flow to walk into the room and get to the front seats, while providing two prime listening seats in the centre of the room.

6 - The location of the front wide speakers is very useful for the ideal listening angles for the front seats. The Left and Right speakers are at 19 from primary listening position, with the front wide speakers at 34 from the same primary listening position. With the inclusion of the wide speakers the Trinnov Altitude 32 can process the audio for the front soundscape and present the sound through all 5 speakers to increase the sound stage.
If you look at the image below you will see that the turquoise speakers are the actual speaker locations, the green speakers are where the Trinnov processor has mapped the ideal speaker locations to be.

I hope that this information provides a bit more insight into how audio layout of the room is configured. If you have any other questions, please drop them into the thread for me to answer for you.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Moolz

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2017, 12:44:05 AM »
Wow! This is going to be one super awesome cinema room!
Awesome work.

The owner obviously has super deep pockets!

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
Wow! This is going to be one super awesome cinema room!
Awesome work.

The owner obviously has super deep pockets!

Wait till you see whats coming next! :)
Also, its easy to see that the client chose his investments in this cinema room well ;)
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2017, 09:14:43 PM »
The Barco projector arrives in Cape Town.
This was a bit of a stressful delivery, FEDEX didn't want to go through the effort of delivering the projector through to our office on Friday afternoon. So while the projector was here in Cape Town, it seemed that while Customs checks and every other sort of pre-clearance was taking place that it was just out of our reach.

I made the bold decision to jump in an Uber and muscle through Cape Town traffic at 3pm on a Friday to get through to the airport to collect the projector from the international airfreight offices.
(I had to use an Uber because all my staff were in the company van's running around doing other last minute work on the cinema)

After about 15 minutes of waiting and processing of paperwork she arrived. We were lucky, we were getting the Barco Balder projector and we would be able to deliver it through to site and make the cinema functional for the weekend!

A review of the Barco model lineup can be seen on their website:
https://www.barco.com/en/staticpages/landingpages/residential/model%20range

The brief (important) specifications of the Barco Balder projector:
  • Ultra HD
  • HDR 10
  • Laser Lightsource
  • Capable of 5000 lumens of light output

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

• Commercial Member
    • Mirror Edge Networks
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »
The equipment rack is delivered to the cinema, installed and connected.
This is a first look at the power house of the home cinema in the room.

It has all the ingredients for a stunning home cinema:
  • 2 x Furman Elite 16i Power conditioners (with built in 55Amp peak power capacitor)
  • Oppo BluRay Player
  • Trinnov Altitude 32 - 16 Channel 3D surround sound processor
  • 2 x Amplitude 8 (8 Channel Power amplifiers)
  • 1 x Wisdom Audio SA2 (2 Channel subwoofer amplifier)

There are a few other smaller items in the rack, an Apple TV 4K, Crestron MC3 processor, Araknis 16 port POE network switch, Rako lighting gateway.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson