Author Topic: Camps Bay Home Cinema - 2017  (Read 73587 times)

Offline Morgan Irwin

Camps Bay Home Cinema - 2017
« on: October 31, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »
On the 1st of August we started work on this extra room of our clients house, converting it into a high quality home cinema.
Over the next few weeks I am going to post updates of the daily work on site to be able to take this room through to the finished product.

The cinema was designed by Christiaan Beukes from Sphere Custom Design, and the build of the room was lead by his team. My team were on site too and assisted in the room build.
There are many different elements that have gone into this room, I will do my best to highlight the parts of the room build that I feel would be of interest or that caught my attention. However if there is anything that you notice and would like to ask about, please do as this helps everyone (including myself) to understand these home cinema builds better.

I hope you enjoy the story and the journey behind this home cinema build!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:37:48 AM by Morgan Irwin »
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.MirrorEdgeNetworks.com

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+150)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: Camps Bay Home Cinema - 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »
Have seen some creations from Christiaan Beukes and they are in a word - stunning.  Hope we can see pictures of the progress you have been making in this project
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »
So this is the room that we started with.

I should add that this photo was taken on the 1st of August (my first time visiting site was the 27th of July, I only met the client a few days before that)
Fast track to a few days ago, I did final handover to the client.

The project was fairly quick, but of course they don't always have to be quick... I do however like to get the team to work hard in the constant pursuit of delivering projects swiftly and moving onto the next one.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
Apologies for the delay in getting back to this, its our usual busy time of the year so its non-stop meetings all across the Cape (& even sometimes in Johannesburg)
Gonna try be fairly consistent with posting at least 1 update per day so that everyone can be able to see the type of progress that the project took

Have seen some creations from Christiaan Beukes and they are in a word - stunning.  Hope we can see pictures of the progress you have been making in this project
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
Apologies for the delay in getting back to this, its our usual busy time of the year so its non-stop meetings all across the Cape (& even sometimes in Johannesburg)
Gonna try be fairly consistent with posting at least 1 update per day so that everyone can be able to see the type of progress that the project took
One pic after 67 days of building is just dismal...

Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|Vivere|Sonor Claro

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
One pic after 67 days of building is just dismal...

Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Hi FranZAR, thanks for your interest in this project. While it may seem like I am very slow in processing the photos and compiling the information for this project it is only because it is a project for a private client.
In order for me to be permitted to post these photos and this information I have to receive a formal sign-off from the home owner to grant me permission to post photos of within his house.

The entire home cinema build was completed on the 2nd of October, since then the home owner has been travelling and only just returned to Cape Town.
Its just a respect issue that I prefer to have happy customers before posting photos of their property online without their permission.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »
So this is the start of the home cinema process for our Camps Bay cinema. Of course with any project, design work is the best place to start. Our approach in getting the designs drawn wasn't particularly traditional as due to the fairly short project timeline we actually gave the client a presentation with the following conceptual diagrams before we had requested a design deposit. That was simply because we know him well and also had the time constrains to work with.

I would like to make 1 note about the photos, I know that I have cropped out the design details, but this is simply because the clients details are on there too. While he is not unhappy with having his name associated with the project, would just like to keep it private for now.

This is the first view of the room as you walk in. I will explain some constraints of the room further down in this post.

This picture is the view that will be into the room from the back row of seats. The home cinema is designed to have 2 couches as opposed to cinema seats as this would allow for the most flexibility of seating.

The reference above about the constraints of the home cinema room is this: The room itself is 7.2 meters long and 3.4 meters wide. For us to make it into a home cinema with a functional audio stage we would have to shorten the room. So its possible to see a false wall behind the back row of seats. This also serves to assist us with dealing with another constraint of the room... Where to locate all the source equipment, processor, amplifiers and projector. We used the space behind the wall to install a floor standing 27u rack and build a projector box that provides isolation for its noise, but still allows airflow for cooling.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:02:32 PM by Morgan Irwin »
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+150)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
Promising
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:00:35 AM »
"Day one" of construction work starts. We were told by the builder that there was a small cavity running on the left side of the ceiling that was approximately 200mm deep.
We were very surprised to see that it was actually far more than that and realistically closer to 500mm deep (I didn't get around to measuring it myself, but I am sure one of my staff did).
While this cavity in the ceiling potentially poses some issues acoustically, it could also be useful for a few other elements of the room like air conditioning ducting and venting the air from the self-contained air conditioning unit.

On the right side of the room is a sewage / waste water cavity in the floor. We haven't opened this yet, but we suspect that it is going to require filling as it creates a massive resonance in the room if you stamp your foot on it. We assume it is going to react the same way to bass frequencies.

Its great to see what we are going to be working with on this project, its always best to start from a bare shell when building a home cinema of this quality at this level.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline willieopperman

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing with us!   
Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters.

Offline vleisman

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
Can you please post an 'in the region of' ballpark amount for the project?

Offline Albertronics

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
Very informative information about the project thus far. Great so far Morgan. Kind regards. Shamil

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing with us!

Its a pleasure, I hope you enjoy keeping up to date with the progress of the build.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
Can you please post an 'in the region of' ballpark amount for the project?

I would prefer not to give out specifics on the entire project as this is fairly private information. (I would be happy to review and discuss the costs associated on these privately in person if you would like)
With regards to the room build costs though, we used only high quality materials throughout and the total room build costs came in at just under R300 000.00.
This includes all lighting, acoustic treatment and timber work.

Of course I would like to mention that doesn't mean that it would have to cost the same if we built it again it could be more or it could be less.
Just as a matter of interest, the client is more than happy with what he spent on the room build costs.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morgan Irwin

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
Before any construction work takes place we measured the low frequency response of the subwoofers within the room. The measurement kit used is a Home Acoustics Alliance measurement kit (HAA). This would confirm whether the response that was generated from the room mode calculators is accurate according to our real world environment. This will help us to confirm how much acoustic treatment is required in the cinema.

Of course it is important to refer back to the computer generated room response as this gives us the correct region to experiment for our subwoofer placement.
In this instance the computer plot calculates their best location 801mm in from the inside of the external walls, with the front subwoofer mounted with its bass port at the bottom and the rear subwoofer mounted "upside down" with its bass port at the top of the speaker.

The subwoofers that we are using are: Wisdom Audio S90i in-wall subwoofers.
You can view their website here: http://www.wisdomaudio.com/products/s90i/

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson