Starter turntable recommendations

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenflare

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Other than vague memories of tape recordings and Phil Collins LP's, my personal history with music has pretty much always been digital (be it CD, MP3, or FLAC). However, since studying sound engineering in '05, I've always been fascinated by analogue media, especially vinyl. I've subsequently wanted to get a turntable ever since, but with basically zero experience (other than a second hand one I purchased and gave away earlier in the year) it's the most daunting thing I've ever encountered in this audio hobby.

Headphones is an industry I know well, and it seems the turntable market is just as saturated with overpriced plastic toys. I can't bring myself to trust a brand like Crossley because even though the price point is enticing, they seem to be the Skullcandy of vinyl listening... When on a budget, and in need of a new pair of headphones though, plenty of high quality options exist that are priced cheaper -- or on par with -- what's on offer at Skullcandy (or whatever alternative you prefer). Koss Portapros come to mind... The AKG K92's... The Sennheiser HD201...

What would be the HD201 of turntables? Do true budget options even exist or should I just commit to spending at least R5K on a new one from Audio Technica?

Also...
- Should I get direct drive or belt-driven?
- What's the difference in sound between direct and belt?
- Should I bother with entry level at all or should I just get a REGA or Pro-Ject?
- Should I trawl the vintage/second hand market?
- What cartridge would best serve my purposes?
- Is a built-in phono stage a good thing or just a convenient thing? Because phonos are effin pricey.

Apologies for the long post. But I like to establish a context for my ignorance :p.

Please help me, vinyl masters.