Author Topic: Nuprime uDSD or other...?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Nuprime uDSD or other...?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
 Never tried with others.  The usb hub basically gives the udsd its own power not pc usb bus power. 

It must have a separate wall wart to have a + effect. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »
So I could, in effect, get a split bus cable that pulls data from the source and 5v power from the wall?
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
Yes.   Thatís what my adaptors do.  A usb powered hub would test the concept. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
Oh that's really cool.

I will test the hub/source difference and then contact you for the cable as soon as I can.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
Nuprime uDSD or other...?
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »
My adaptor is the white stuff.   You can still use premium usb cable if you like and use any usb charger or power bank to power the udsd. 

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
I can report that after 2 days of solid usage, that the uDSD is quite brilliant. Installed the drivers before hand so the entire setup process was a pleasure.

The sound signature is more tailored than the Chinese DACs I'm used to (which component-wise, seem less considered).

The sig is quintessentially musical and laid back, and it seems to roll off the highs just enough to tame harshness whilst still retaining enough detail for critical listening. Bass is good. The mids are wonderfully forward.

The headamp is a bit pap, but it will happily push 80ohm dynamic headphones. Of course my planar cans, even at lower impedences (Fostexes, Monoliths), need more raw wattage than this thing can provide... Thankfully, the DAC's direct line outs will do justice to even the most expensive of outputs so it fulfills my need to slot into the current signal chain whilst I wait for my next upgrade.

I now have my eye on the NFB-11 and/or the Emotiva Bas-X A100 Flex -- a speaker amp that has the unique ability to route it's 50W per channel output to the headphone jack!! It's sheer insanity but suffice it to say, I'm at least somewhat confident about not blowing anything up, and I need this kind of future-proof power in my life.

Should cost about R5000 all in to get it into SA.

Another satisfied uDSD customer! Enjoy it. Are you using it into the LD to form your impressions, or the headamp?

I'm quite curious about the iDSD-LE which would be cheap and easy to get here and has some terrific features.
Sound wise the reviews are excellent. I would be keen to compare it to my Audio-gd and it's ES9018.

Compared to a full sized standalone DAC of similar quality and invariably significantly more expensive, I think this is a great solution for space challenged folk like myself.
Can't help but think that it may not be the ideal DAC solution for my Woo, which would be it's intended purpose ultimately.
It's perhaps the portable aspect that prejudices me, rightly or wrongly.

But for the money, how wrong can one go..?

NFB11.32 - Little Dot MKll - Benchmark DAC1 USB
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »
Another satisfied uDSD customer! Enjoy it. Are you using it into the LD to form your impressions, or the headamp?

I'm quite curious about the iDSD-LE which would be cheap and easy to get here and has some terrific features.
Sound wise the reviews are excellent. I would be keen to compare it to my Audio-gd and it's ES9018.

Compared to a full sized standalone DAC of similar quality and invariably significantly more expensive, I think this is a great solution for space challenged folk like myself.
Can't help but think that it may not be the ideal DAC solution for my Woo, which would be it's intended purpose ultimately.
It's perhaps the portable aspect that prejudices me, rightly or wrongly.

But for the money, how wrong can one go..?
My impressions are first and foremost based upon the onboard headamp (ultimately, the uDSD will be used in this fashion for the majority of its stay with me).

In form and function, the line outs are superb. They pair very nicely with my LD MKII, my SMSL Sap II and my 305's (please everybody just go out and buy a pair of these monitors, btw). Coming from the SMSL 793II, and briefly the Sanskrit, to this is a far more startling jump than I expected. Music has depth, size, complexity, and purpose with this DAC. Despite it basically being a stopgap solution, I would not be unhappy with having to use this in its current application.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 01:49:45 AM »
For the price IMHO it is hard to beat the uDSD .... and yes it can be beaten if you spend a lot more money, but for what it is I reckon it's almost a "must have" item for practically anyone who is into music and audio equipment

Hope you keep enjoying your setup  :thumbs: but do try that adapter cable from Hi-phibian and let us know how you like it
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:53:43 AM by naughty »

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
Regarding the Emotiva Bas-X A100 Flex, not sure if you are aware but there are local agents for Emotiva - have you checked out pricing and availability with them?

https://audioholics.co.za/products/emotiva/emotiva_in_south_africa.htm

It looks like a solid amp for the money for sure.

NFB11.32 - Little Dot MKll - Benchmark DAC1 USB
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
Regarding the Emotiva Bas-X A100 Flex, not sure if you are aware but there are local agents for Emotiva - have you checked out pricing and availability with them?

https://audioholics.co.za/products/emotiva/emotiva_in_south_africa.htm

It looks like a solid amp for the money for sure.

Also looking, and it does look tempting.

Offline TranSonicX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »
Hi

Hope not hijacking to much on this one...

With the additional power cable, I understand how it works to use for data and to power the amp, what I was looking at was how to power OTG at the same time.

With this cable you cut power + and add new line.
For OTG to add power I see online they just inject power to both + and - (there is a 100ohm resistor on the sorted pin, sometimes)

Do you guys think this would work in this situation. That way the amp gets power and when playing thru the phone, it also gets power.
(The uDSD is power hungry running thru the OTG)

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
I don't see any reason why not...

Offline TranSonicX

• AVForums Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »
With the additional power cable, I understand how it works to use for data and to power the amp, what I was looking at was how to power OTG at the same time.

With this cable you cut power + and add new line.
For OTG to add power I see online they just inject power to both + and - (there is a 100ohm resistor on the sorted pin, sometimes)

Do you guys think this would work in this situation. That way the amp gets power and when playing thru the phone, it also gets power.
(The uDSD is power hungry running thru the OTG)

Just an update on this.

I cut up a OTG cable and soldered in the power from a norm USB in the hopes I could run power to the phone while using OTG and also provide more power to the uDSD.

This didn't work. The phone will see the cable as OTG cable as long as nothing is plugged into the now "power usb" end. If this end is now plugged into a PC it sees the cable as a simple USB cable. If the cable is plugged into a power source, nothing and the phone just sees the cable as OTG but without charging.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
Just an update on this.

I cut up a OTG cable and soldered in the power from a norm USB in the hopes I could run power to the phone while using OTG and also provide more power to the uDSD.

This didn't work. The phone will see the cable as OTG cable as long as nothing is plugged into the now "power usb" end. If this end is now plugged into a PC it sees the cable as a simple USB cable. If the cable is plugged into a power source, nothing and the phone just sees the cable as OTG but without charging.

have you considered not bothering to charge the phone ie if you use a powerbank and the croak cable then the powerbank will power the uDSD fulltime and the phone sends absolutely no power only just signal to the uDSD hence the phone battery will last as long as it used to without the uDSD

just saying  :nfi:

Offline TranSonicX

• AVForums Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
have you considered not bothering to charge the phone ie if you use a powerbank and the croak cable then the powerbank will power the uDSD fulltime and the phone sends absolutely no power only just signal to the uDSD hence the phone battery will last as long as it used to without the uDSD

just saying  :nfi:

Um actually no never even thought of that and it makes so much sense.  :thumbs:

I wasn't really thinking about power to the uDSD as I don't use the HP Amp on it but will mod my cable and see how the phone batt lasts with your suggestion.