What to do with old speakers?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereophile

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have a pair of Sansui SU880T speakers. http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/242539360/SU_880_Speakers.html
The enclosures are water damaged, and I much prefer the sound of my Monitor Audio S1's, especially because they sound great at lower volumes. The speakers sound much better than they look, and if it wasn't for the slightly weak midrange and shouting tweeters, they would have been great. I love the smooth warm bass they deliver though.

Here is my problem. I can't sell them, I don't want them as they are and dumping them would seem like abandoning old friends, as they were the first speakers I ever bought for myself, so I'm quite sentimental about them.

With some help from the forumites, could I rebuild them into something I could actually use? They'll obviously never be high-end, and I don't have that sort of budget anyway. Perhaps upgrading the tweeters and maybe the midrange drivers in a new enclosure? The woofers start from 35hz so a sub would be out of the question? They are HUGE bookshelf speakers, so maybe go all the way and make floor standers?

I haven't seen any audio snobs on the forum, but I'm really worried about replies like "Just dump them and get some B&W Nautilus goodness".  ;D

Any ideas and suggestions?