Author Topic: Nuprime uDSD or other...?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
Nuprime uDSD or other...?
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »
So I will soon be the DAC-less audiophile.

I need something between now and the day I get my next desktop solution to hold me over.

- It must be able to function as a desktop dac for the time being.
- It must be able to function as a portable laptop solution (USB powered) so that it doesn't become obsolete down the line
- It must preferably be locally available
- It must cost under 3K

Currently, the Nuprime uDSD is the favourite and seems to offer better IO than the competition. However, I'm open to suggestions.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
Re: Nuprime uDSD or other...?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:48:46 PM »
No need to even look further -the uDSD is the only solution that meets all criteria, without having to import.

NFB11.32 - Little Dot MKll - Benchmark DAC1 USB
LCD2F - HD600 - DT990Pro 250 - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »
The uDSD is definitely 1st option next would be the KORG DS 100m for portability or the bigger DS 100 if you not worried about the bigger unit.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
So it's unanimous. Good thing I already bought it.

Should be here by Friday. I will post my thoughts immediately as it's a second hand unit and should be significantly "burned in" -- if that's even a thing for DACs.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »
A "burn in" period does not affect the UDSD too much .... though when you disconnect it and have it switched off it will take some time to get back to sounding it's best (a couple of hours at least) so I just keep mine plugged into the PC which is permanently on so the DAC remains connected

Funny though that after months of usage the sound really doesn't change much besides for the situation described above ... and you can also cause some improvement by getting one of those adapter cables from Hi-Phibian which separates power and signal ... I found that it gets tonally richer, though for me it narrowed the soundstage, but if you are not so bothered with the  soundstage then maybe the change in tonality could be welcome (other people have found that it widened the soundstage so it my results could be restricted to my system) but the adapter does cause improvements  to occur so it's a no brainer to try and see if you like the results
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:14:08 PM by naughty »

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
I think you're going to enjoy the little sucker!

Scubadude and others attest to the fact that if you can feed it 5V from a power supply of some kind it improves everything, especially the headphone output.
Try check back on some earlier forum posts - there are plenty about the uDSD and split power/data cables etc.
I think that Scubadude made his own power supply actually...beyond my feeble skills I'm afraid.
I'm the guy who pays guys like Hi Phibian to make these things for me...  :roll:

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 01:00:23 AM »
A "burn in" period does not affect the UDSD too much .... though when you disconnect it and have it switched off it will take some time to get back to sounding it's best (a couple of hours at least) so I just keep mine plugged into the PC which is permanently on so the DAC remains connected

Funny though that after months of usage the sound really doesn't change much besides for the situation described above ... and you can also cause some improvement by getting one of those adapter cables from Hi-Phibian which separates power and signal ... I found that it gets tonally richer, though for me it narrowed the soundstage, but if you are not so bothered with the  soundstage then maybe the change in tonality could be welcome (other people have found that it widened the soundstage so it my results could be restricted to my system) but the adapter does cause improvements  to occur so it's a no brainer to try and see if you like the results

I think you're going to enjoy the little sucker!

Scubadude and others attest to the fact that if you can feed it 5V from a power supply of some kind it improves everything, especially the headphone output.
Try check back on some earlier forum posts - there are plenty about the uDSD and split power/data cables etc.
I think that Scubadude made his own power supply actually...beyond my feeble skills I'm afraid.
I'm the guy who pays guys like Hi Phibian to make these things for me...  :roll:

I didn't even know about the split cable but it makes plenty of sense. I will definitely look into Hi-Phibian, or splice one of my own if need be, as soon as the Nuprime is safe here with me.

With such a unaninmous positive response, I now cannot wait to put it through its considerable paces. I hyped up owning the Sanskrit 6th for so long, that it misbehaving when I finally got it, actually emotionally hurt me and put me off listening to music in the way I used to. My Monoliths are sitting unused now, because the dedicated, supposedly giant-killing DAC I bought to do them and my LSR305's justice, clips at 62% Windows volume and above -10db on Foobar. Worse still, nobody else with the same DAC seems to have encountered the same issues.

I hope that the next owner has the connections or the clout to see to whatever's wrong with it. 

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about my audio future again. It's nice to know that I'm getting something that doesn't sacrifice quality for its mobility. Even when I get the Audio Gd, the Nuprime will still see plenty of use at work and bedside. AMPED.

Offline TranSonicX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 06:20:38 AM »

I am hopefully picking up my Nuprime today. This is an interesting one.
Could you elaborate a little. I plan to use with my phone mostly at work and this might be an issue as I will be plugging and unplugging a lot.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
Don't worry about it too much - it still sounds more than decent but after a bit of warm up time it gets to sound marginally better though, but I'm being extremely pedantic and picky

But it isn't a situation where it sounds bad and then warms up and sounds way better .... it's all just marginal differences

Offline TranSonicX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »
Don't worry about it too much - it still sounds more than decent but after a bit of warm up time it gets to sound marginally better though, but I'm being extremely pedantic and picky

But it isn't a situation where it sounds bad and then warms up and sounds way better .... it's all just marginal differences

:thumbs:

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+34)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
I imported a iFi Nano iDSD - was REALLY good... also have the uDSD
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
I imported a iFi Nano iDSD - was REALLY good... also have the uDSD

I am eyeing this one:

Looks very good for $129.

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
I can report that after 2 days of solid usage, that the uDSD is quite brilliant. Installed the drivers before hand so the entire setup process was a pleasure.

The sound signature is more tailored than the Chinese DACs I'm used to (which component-wise, seem less considered).

The sig is quintessentially musical and laid back, and it seems to roll off the highs just enough to tame harshness whilst still retaining enough detail for critical listening. Bass is good. The mids are wonderfully forward.

The headamp is a bit pap, but it will happily push 80ohm dynamic headphones. Of course my planar cans, even at lower impedences (Fostexes, Monoliths), need more raw wattage than this thing can provide... Thankfully, the DAC's direct line outs will do justice to even the most expensive of outputs so it fulfills my need to slot into the current signal chain whilst I wait for my next upgrade.

I now have my eye on the NFB-11 and/or the Emotiva Bas-X A100 Flex -- a speaker amp that has the unique ability to route it's 50W per channel output to the headphone jack!! It's sheer insanity but suffice it to say, I'm at least somewhat confident about not blowing anything up, and I need this kind of future-proof power in my life.

Should cost about R5000 all in to get it into SA.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
Run it via a powered usb hub and try the headphones again.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
Run it via a powered usb hub and try the headphones again.
I am running it through a powered USB 3 hub.

Should it be the only device on the hub?