Author Topic: New Mcintosh Tube/SS Hybrid Integrated Amp  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Just go ahead and panic.
New Mcintosh Tube/SS Hybrid Integrated Amp
« on: October 22, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/10/22/rmaf-2017-mcintosh-teases-new-ma252-hybrid-integrated-amp/

100wpc. Not clear what kind of tubes it uses. Seems fairly compact.

Offline AlleyCat

Re: New Mcintosh Tube/SS Hybrid Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
I like, I drool, I lust,.... Now if only they can include an MC stage, that would make it complete.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Nidri

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:40:03 AM »

Offline El Sid

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »
It is gorgeous, but is it just me or is the green glow under the valves a bit wanky?

Offline Nidri

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »
Agreed. So unnecessary.

*Cancels order*

Offline El Sid

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 12:20:49 AM »
Agreed. So unnecessary.

*Cancels order*

:ROFLMAO:
I'd still love to have one...

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »
I know how good a product it is, but why must they have the extra green-bling under the valves, reminds me of a steampunk creation! Prefer to see the normal orange glow of the filaments. 

Offline Den123

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 11:20:34 PM »
Sorry. i don't buy this.
" These transistors eliminate the typical amplifier warm-up time so that the MA252 is in peak operating condition from the moment itís turned on". To me that sounds like bull s*#t. Valves need time to warm up. If your "Valve Amp" switches on immediately, you aren't using the valves in the signal path. I know this brand is seriously expensive, but I'm not convinced. It is "only" a hybrid after all. It is most likely a Class AB transistor amp with a valve stuck somewhere in the small signal stage. I know! i own/built one that I listen to every day.
Not trying to be negative, but my Bull s*#t detector is going off! I don't think the monogrammed heat sinks will add much to the sound quality either.
So, the signal is fully digitized by a uP. That won't sit too well with many of our members who can hear the difference between a standard fuse in the 50Hz AC supply line and an expensive one.
I know, I'm being too negative. it is just that I work too hard for my money to be taken for a ride.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »
Have u heard an original Den... ? ... would be nice to see if it can even come close to the AN amps Andy has.. or is it more looks over function

Nidri , what do they sound like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Nidri

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
TBH I'm not that familiar with Mcintosh equipment. Just thought that a product like this might be of interest to someone.

Although this is their first hybrid valve/transistor amp afaik, Mcintosh has a good reputation for quality engineering.
They also sell some all-valve components, so I think it's highly unlikely that they'd release an amp where the valves are just there for show.

"The preamplifier stage uses two 12AX7a and two 12AT7 vacuum tubes housed inside stylish protective cages; the output stage is a direct coupled solid state amplifier that delivers 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohm speakers or 160 Watts per channel into 4 Ohm speakers. An all analog design, it comes with 2 unbalanced, 1 balanced and 1 Moving Magnet phono input for turntables​."

The language used here is unambiguous; though the finer details of the design are of course not disclosed.
If an audio brand were to try to pull the wool over its consumers' eyes, I'd suspect a lot of other brands before Mcintosh. 
(Admittedly this does happen - Google 'Lexicon Oppo'.)

That said, the instant warm-up business does raise an eyebrow or two.

Finally, yes. The "monogrammed heat sinks [won't] add much to the sound quality either."
Cosmetic details never do. But then, it's hardly unusual for high(er) end components to feature some or other form of cosmetic refinement.
Why can't the box that makes nice music also look nice?

Offline seanjammy

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
Seems a bit cynical, like a Smsung-style valve soundbar??

Offline Den123

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »
Hey Nidri. No problem with it looking nice. I try to make my stuff look good too, but I don't like being bullshitted.
All analogue, or "powerful microprocessor control"? Could use a bit of clarity here.
I like the article on the Lexicon Oppo. :ticked:

Offline Nidri

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 05:02:32 PM »
^^^ I hear you.

And in principle I agree, we should be somewhat skeptical of manufacturers' claims.
At the end of the day, they do want our money.
Lexicon certainly does.

Offline Nidri

• AVForums Grandmaster