"Coloured" Sound

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I had an interesting experience this weekend. A friend of a friend was told(by my friend) that I had this "amazing" system and came around to listen.

He brought a DVD along of an artist I should rather not name and complained that there was not as much bass as on his HTIB system. As it happended the soundtrack was claimed to be 5.1, but there was no LFE information and most of the bass seemed to be above 80hz, so the sub did not even switch on! I tried to explain that a "decent" system will play back what it was fed, but he was adamant that his system sounded SO MUCH better(Ok, his TV room is not even a quarter the size of ours).

I then had him listen to Norah Jones and Flight of the Phoenix and you should have seen his face! He was in absolute awe :twisted:

What I am trying to illustrate is that many "systems" are tuned to enhance certain frequencies and as such sound "nice" to the person who bought it, but most often huge chunks of the sound track disappear completely.

A further impression that many people have is that we think that we have the best(Not entirely true! We always want to upgrade!)

Latest posts