HiFi News Test LP protractor and Star Wars.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croak

R.I.P. 28 June 2021
Reaction score
An old Croak news letter piece from 2008 that?s still as relevant as ever. 

Alignment with The HiFi News Protractor.

Laser Pro Tricks
I have been playing with my Star Wars laser toy again. Some of you may have read my article and letter that appeared in the old Vinyl SA newsletter and AVSA about using the Verimark Laser Pro leveling device for speaker alignment?..

I have found another great use for it. Those of you who have bought the HiFi News Test LP from us will find this useful.
The protractor supplied allows adjustment of exact stylus overhang by pointing the long arrow on the template at the pivot point of the tone arm. This however is easier said then done and I have used wire rods, rulers and all sorts to extend this arrow on the template closer to the pivot point?..
Some may have guessed what is coming next. If you set the laser pro up so that the red laser line runs on top of the arrow it extends the arrow and you merely need to point the red laser line at the pivot point.
A picture is probably worth a thousand words here.

0e1dcb8b01c8cfd51f8654d63ff30881.jpg

521ea9628307db64ef1df47175bb5898.jpg

You can ?fix? the platter in place with a blob of prestik to the side of the platter and on top of the plinth and get a really good alignment job done. The protractor fits nice and snug so does not move to easily.